What are your options (self care) for a stye?

Options
OK, I have a stye or two (or so thinks both myself and the pharmacist I've seen. I've seen two). An eyelash is growing through one and my eyelid is slightly swollen, red and it hurts to blink, it even hurts to raise my eyebrows!
The recommendation is a hot compress for a week or three before anything more formal (a needle to draw out any puss:eek: ) but this thing hurts! I have a headache and am already taking pain killers already for something else!

I was trying to find details online and a few sites mention putting special eye treatment over the area to keep it disinfected- not just regular TCP but something designated for eyes.

Does anyone know of anything to use? I've seen various wipes and eye drops in Boots/Superdrug and whatever but none state they are for styes. I don't want to buy what is effectively saline in miniature bottles or wipes (eg a waste of cash).

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And apologies in advance for the sheer volume of health product requests I've been posting on the board over the past few weeks- I'm not trying to spam, I just seem to be falling apart physically at the moment :/ Hopefully I'm/my experiences and posts are of some use to someone who may be reading at a later date with similar issues!
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since these are causing so much pain, I would go to your doctor.

Oh and be very careful about putting TCP anywhere near your eyes.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it is a stye then it tends to resolve just as quick doing nothing.
    Only really effecitve thing is Eyebag but they are quite pricey £20 or so.

Otherwise hot compress I wouldn't bother with drops not going to help.

I am not sure I would bother with the GP unless you are unsure of the diagnosis.
    up to 2 weeks to resolve.
  • KARO
    KARO Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure it's a stye and not a cyst?

I have had a cyst on my right eye for ages, but it's too small to warrant being removed.

Here is some information about styes
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stye/Pages/introduction.aspx
  • jenniewb
    edited 15 July 2015 at 1:09AM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies- I had already seen a pharmacist who'd decided it was a stye (I'd actually seen two). I didn't want to bother the Doctor because I know a Doctor wont do anything until it's been bothering me for a few weeks. I feel like I'm being really feeble- I'm normally a lot better with levels of pain. I've had styes before which tingled or felt 'heavy' on my eye lids but nothing like this, this thing is not easy to work around.

I wasn't thinking about putting TCP on my eye- sorry if my post wasn't clear- I was asking about products which I could put on my eye because TCP wasn't suitable.

Will see if I can ask another pharmacist, the previous said hot compresses was the best thing and I am trying with hot water on cotton pads but it's just not making any difference to the pain and/or itching. This thing is driving me mad!
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would think the quacks would just send you away with a prescription for antibiotics, if it's infected..
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    When I get anything that might be a stye I make a cuppa then put the tea bag (once cooled) on my eye for a bit. It's something my mum swears by and got from my gran, always works for me.
  • jenniewb
    Options
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    I would think the quacks would just send you away with a prescription for antibiotics, if it's infected..

Which I am trying to prevent happening...hence my original post....
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a few small styes and the pharmacist gave me a choice between ointment or eyedrops. Over the counter medicines and the styes were soon gone - I can't of course say if they would have gone anyway.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • gabriel1980
    gabriel1980 Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They usually go away on their own. I have one at the moment too. Red swollen eye lid. Usually the pain goes away within a few days though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure