We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Finding a makeup artist

Options
I know this sounds rather strange. But I would like to have session with a makeup artist.

Where they use all my own products and brushes. So I can see what can be achieved. As I just tend to whack it on and hope for the best.

Could really do with someone on a 1-1 basis showing me how best to use each product that I have.

I know I could use google but not sure what to looking for and if there are any qualifications I should be asking about?

Yours

Calley
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many of the department store counters do have fully trained makeup artists. MAC is one, but their are loads more. Some will charge a fee which will be redeemable against a purchase.

SpaceNK will do them for free, giving tips etc.
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    I know this sounds rather strange. But I would like to have session with a makeup artist.

Where they use all my own products and brushes.

Not weird at all! Go ahead and Google 'UK make up artists' then ring around the more promising ones to ask. (I've just Googled this to test and first one to come up talks about 'teaching' clients.)

I had one session in a salon once and wouldn't recommend that option, an artist coming to you is far better.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Many of the department store counters do have fully trained makeup artists. MAC is one, but their are loads more. Some will charge a fee which will be redeemable against a purchase.

SpaceNK will do them for free, giving tips etc.

But I want to use my own products and brushes etc.

So I know what I can do with the stuff I already have.

Yours

Calley

• sofarbehind
    sofarbehind Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    But I want to use my own products and brushes etc.

So I know what I can do with the stuff I already have.

Yours

Calley

Sounds like a really good idea Calley. I'm not confident with doing makeup any more. Let us know how you get on. I imagine it won't be cheap but it would be worth it.
    Mortgage overpayments 2018: £4602, 2019: £7870
    Mortgage overpayments 2020: £4620
    Mortgage 2017 £145K, June 2020 £112.6k:o
  • Birdie85
    Birdie85 Posts: 9,330 Forumite
    Options
    Many make-up artists do lessons, do a Google search for 'Make up lessons' and your area, hopefully you'll get a few options! Even if you just go to a beauty counter you can tell them what brushes you have and ask to be shown with their versions of the ones you use.

Youtube is also fabulous for make-up tutorials, I have spent many an hour watching how-to's (makeupgeek and pursebuzz are pretty good), just put in what you want to know (i.e. smoky eyes, cover blemishes etc) and sit back! :)
    Overcome the notion that you must be ordinary. It robs you of the chance to be extraordinary!
    Goal Weight 140lb Starting Weight: 160lb Current Weight 145lb
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What about contacting your local salons? Many offer make up lessons and makeovers for special occasions. I know the one I normally use do. I can't see there being a problem with you taking your own stuff and they can advise whether your stuff is right for you as well, or maybe make suggestions for future purchases.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    Options
    Ah.

Not sure any of them will let you use your own products??? The salons usually have a brand they will use.

Have you tried Youtube? Loads of makeup tutorials on there. So you could watch and use at the same time, with a mirror of course. The freeze and rewind if you need.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could you get in touch with a local college that have beauty courses, they may have someone there who'll teach you.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • calleyw
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Ah.

Not sure any of them will let you use your own products??? The salons usually have a brand they will use.

Have you tried Youtube? Loads of makeup tutorials on there. So you could watch and use at the same time, with a mirror of course. The freeze and rewind if you need.

I have watched the odd youtube video.

And thats better than me trying on my own. But I am not very creative and tend to go meh that wont suit me. So would prefer someone who could show me what they think would suit me.

Yours

Calley

• calleyw
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Could you get in touch with a local college that have beauty courses, they may have someone there who'll teach you.

Why did I not think of that. i have a local college that does hairdressing and beauty treatments etc.

Wonder if one the students would like to make some extra money!!!

Yours

Calley

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills