We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Failed root canal?

Options
I have had a sore gum for 4 weeks now - just above a molar which was root canalled a few years ago. Last week my dentist said there's no sign of infection so to go back next week if it hasn't calmed down. It hasn't so far it is sore when I speak or smile, or if I put pressure on that area of the gum. I have had sinus/ear problems recently but just wondered what symptoms people had when their root canal failed.

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Tooth problems and sinus/ear problems can feel very similar.

I would be guided by your dentist rather than the random collection of signs and symptoms from unknown people on the internet.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I knew that my dentist is not paid for the work he does but for some bizarre units where it is financially most beneficial for him either not to find anything wrong or to do acrilic dentures(NHS) and that nobody checks the quality of actual work(both nhs and private) I would have tried to get some info from random strangers on the www as well...
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    If I knew that my dentist is not paid for the work he does but for some bizarre units where it is financially most beneficial for him either not to find anything wrong or to do acrilic dentures(NHS) and that nobody checks the quality of actual work(both nhs and private) I would have tried to get some info from random strangers on the www as well...

If you do not trust your dentist - then you need to find another dentist.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport