Gaming PC upgrade

in Gaming MoneySaving
9 replies 1.3K views
Currently i'm running an overclocked i3 (4.7?) a Nvidia 460 and 4 gig of ram, with a 500GB HD

I am hoping to get it upgraded to run fallout 4 when it's released and (after suggestions from the board) am looking at arkham knight as a reference.

Frankly, it doesn't have to run 60 fps, I don't use enough to warrant spending big bucks on it, but I would like any upgrade to be worth while (i.e. not having to upgrade again in a few years to keep up).

I am at a loss with graphics cards, I can see what is recommended, but there seems to be a lot of the same spec for very different prices.

If I remember rightly, changing type of card is a lot more involved than I thought, and I have no personal preference.

What would be recommended?

Replies

• edited 8 July 2015 at 3:20PM
    d70cw6d70cw6
    784 Posts
    edited 8 July 2015 at 3:20PM
    i would expect your system to cope ok at moderate detail levels and at 1080p or less. You may want to invest in a newer card such as a 960 or amd equivalent.

remember that the game is being designed to work on ps4/xbone also which limits overall requirements somewaht
  • Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How much you willing to spend?
  • ben_m_gben_m_g Forumite
    410 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I don't really want to spend over £150 total, I have no idea what that will get me.
  • bluenoseambluenoseam Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    I'd think you'd need to go up to 8gb of ram & probably look to get something like a 280x radeon or a 960/970 nvidia to get it to run properly which will probably set you back over the £150 mark all in.

Problem is if you go for the 280x they're power hungry, so upgrading your graphics may also require an upgrade of your power supply adding another few quid into it.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    An overclockable i3...? That might be a first-gen, but 4.7GHz still sounds scary-high. But as it's only an i3, you can forget about AMD graphics cards - they're more CPU-dependent, and your CPU will be holding them back.

If you can stretch to £168, this and this will put your PC far ahead of the latest consoles. Because you're going Nvidia -> Nvidia, you should just be able to swap the cards, and when you install the latest Nvidia drivers, choose "Clean Install". But before ordering, open up your PC and make sure you have an available RAM slot.

If you really cannot go beyond £150, you can save £53 and get this graphics card instead - that plus the RAM will cost £115 total. A 750 Ti graphics card is extremely efficient in power/heat, and can keep up with a PS4 comfortably. For example, it can play Grand Theft Auto V on "High" settings at over 60 frames per second (PS4 can only manage 30FPS).

Next Wednesday is "Amazon Prime Day" or something at Amazon, so you might want to sign up for the free 30-day trial of Prime and see if there's a deal on a GTX 960 there next week. Like you say, it should be worth spending a little bit more now and having it last much, much longer.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
    410 Posts
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    I'd think you'd need to go up to 8gb of ram & probably look to get something like a 280x radeon or a 960/970 nvidia to get it to run properly which will probably set you back over the £150 mark all in.

Problem is if you go for the 280x they're power hungry, so upgrading your graphics may also require an upgrade of your power supply adding another few quid into it.

I forgot to note down my PSU size, I will try to take a look tonight to see what i'm running.
    410 Posts
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    An overclockable i3...? That might be a first-gen, but 4.7GHz still sounds scary-high. But as it's only an i3, you can forget about AMD graphics cards - they're more CPU-dependent, and your CPU will be holding them back.

If you can stretch to £168, this and this will put your PC far ahead of the latest consoles. Because you're going Nvidia -> Nvidia, you should just be able to swap the cards, and when you install the latest Nvidia drivers, choose "Clean Install". But before ordering, open up your PC and make sure you have an available RAM slot.

If you really cannot go beyond £150, you can save £53 and get this graphics card instead - that plus the RAM will cost £115 total. A 750 Ti graphics card is extremely efficient in power/heat, and can keep up with a PS4 comfortably. For example, it can play Grand Theft Auto V on "High" settings at over 60 frames per second (PS4 can only manage 30FPS).

Next Wednesday is "Amazon Prime Day" or something at Amazon, so you might want to sign up for the free 30-day trial of Prime and see if there's a deal on a GTX 960 there next week. Like you say, it should be worth spending a little bit more now and having it last much, much longer.

I brought the unit as a "stable overclock" no idea what that means if i'm honest.
    I will check out your links later and see what comes on Wednesday.

Thanks.
    410 Posts
    Sorry for the slow reply, my power supply is labelled "tx650W".
    Would this be enough to handle the upgrade (assuming I went ahead on suggestions above).
  • bluenoseambluenoseam Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Definitely enough for the 380 4gb card & I think it's enough for everything up to dual chip cards or multi card setups, neither of which I think applies here.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals