Deferred Police Pension

Options
Hi Everyone

I was a Police Officer for 6 years paying into the old Pension Scheme. I resigned in 2011 with a right to claim my pension at 60.(im 34)
In 2013 I married and in 2014 had my daughter.
Ive just been looking through the pension paperwork and come across this statement.

If you die in service or when you are receiving a PPS pension, or after you have left the police service with an entitlement to receive a deferred PPS pension, children’s pensions will be payable to your legitimate or adopted children, but not to the children (including step-children) of a marriage which took place in retirement, nor to children adopted in retirement

Im taking this to mean that should my husband and I both pass away, then my daughter is entitled to nothing? If i passed away, would my husband be entitled to a widowers pension as we married after i left the police?

My husband also has a army pension he paid into for 6 years. Would his be the same?

Im totally clueless about all this and am unsure how to proceed? A friend suggested transferring it into a private pension? I work now and pay into one through them.

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2015 at 2:53PM
    Options
    gibsonsmum wrote: »

If i passed away, would my husband be entitled to a widowers pension as we married after i left the police?

That should be answered in the same paperwork you've just been looking at. Your conclusion about your nipper looks right.

P.S. The posters below have persuaded me that I was wrong about the nipper.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A friend suggested transferring it into a private pension?

Doubtfully a good idea, but regardless, transfers out to DC arrangements from unfunded public sector schemes like the PPS are no longer possible.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1987 Scheme?

With regard to transferring out, as both the Armed Forces and Police Schemes are unfunded see

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/when-things-change/transferring-your-pension

" From April 2015 members of unfunded public sector pension schemes will no longer be able to transfer out, although some transfers to other unfunded public sector schemes may still be permitted. The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is a funded arrangement so transfers from this scheme may still be permitted."

With regard to death in deferment, are you sure that this is the same as death in retirement? You should check with the administrator.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/403860/2015_02_12_Police_Pension_Administrator_Contacts_England_and_Wales.pdf
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I was a Police Officer for 6 years paying into the old Pension Scheme. I resigned in 2011 with a right to claim my pension at 60.(im 34)
    In 2013 I married and in 2014 had my daughter.
    Ive just been looking through the pension paperwork and come across this statement.

If you die in service or when you are receiving a PPS pension, or after you have left the police service with an entitlement to receive a deferred PPS pension, children’s pensions will be payable to your legitimate or adopted children, but not to the children (including step-children) of a marriage which took place in retirement, nor to children adopted in retirement

Im taking this to mean that should my husband and I both pass away, then my daughter is entitled to nothing? If i passed away, would my husband be entitled to a widowers pension as we married after i left the police?

It does say a marriage which took place in retirement not after leaving the police like yours did
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

The words "in deferment" are relevant, because you have a deferred pension.

It can be called a 'Preserved Benefit' or 'Deferred Benefit' being that payment is deferred until you are 60.

You should look at death benefits now, ask to have your "Death Wish List" updated.

Survivors pensions and child pensions may be payable, however once you retire there would be no expectation for a child pension, as they normally cease by age 23, earlier when a child leaves full time education.

So perhaps clarify your situation with your provider.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone

but not to the children (including step-children) of a marriage which took place in retirement, nor to children adopted in retirement

Im taking this to mean that should my husband and I both pass away, then my daughter is entitled to nothing?

You married and had children before retirement so I don't see why your daughter wouldn't get anything?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sandsy wrote: »
    You married and had children before retirement so I don't see why your daughter wouldn't get anything?

Eh?

"I resigned in 2011 with a right to claim my pension at 60.....(im 34)
    In 2013 I married and in 2014 had my daughter."
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Eh?

"I resigned in 2011 with a right to claim my pension at 60.....(im 34)
    In 2013 I married and in 2014 had my daughter."

It says children will get a pension unless they were they were "the children (including step-children) of a marriage which took place in retirement, nor to children adopted in retirement"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure