We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Fillings :-(

Options
I've just been for my 6 monthly check up and I've been told I need 2 fillings. I'm a bit gutted at getting my first filling tbh, I've made it 28 years without and they always say my teeth are good! I've always tried to look after them too!

She said the decay is quite minor but it's better to fill them now than risk it getting to root canal stage. I'm just looking for some reassurance really because the thought of sitting in a dentist's chair for 40 minutes fills me with dread!! _pale_ Hopefully you'll all tell me I'll be wondering what I was worried about after!

Comments

• j.e.j.
    Options
    It shouldn't take 40 minutes, surely?

I had 2 fillings the other day and he'd done them in about 20 minutes.

Not very pleasant, having someone drill your teeth but better than a root canal, which I hope I never have to have.
  • You'll be in the chair for 15-20 minutes. It's not pleasant but there shouldn't be any pain. I take a stress ball with me whenever I have to get one done and it distracts me!

You will be fine! :)
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    As others have said it's not as bad as you think. Surprises me that they didn't do them at the time though.

j.e.j. Root canal isn't as bad as you think either. :D
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • dirty_magic
    Options
    She just said you'll be here for up to 40 minutes, she might be allowing for extra time for me to have a nervous breakdown first! ;) Hopefully it'll be over quicker and as painless as you say! I hate the dentist!
  • j.e.j.
    Options
    As long as they leave enough time for the anaesthetic to take effect you should be fine. And seeing as she's allowing 40 minutes, I'd think that would be the case.
  • Piggywiggy
    Options
    When I've had work done on my teeth, I've gone in to be numbed up then sent back out to the waiting room for 10 minutes or so to numb up so this may be included in the 40 minutes you've been told.

As a child I think I had a filling when I wasn't completely numb and this gave me a huge fear, so much so that when I was told a few years ago that I needed an extraction I cried my eyes out got really worked up and then in the end had to admit it really wasn't that bad, so long as you are numb you should be fine, and much better to have a small filling than a major job later.
  • dirty_magic
    Options
    Just in case any other dentist haters find this thread - I've had it done and it was fine, and filling matches my tooth perfectly! Can't even see it!

I don't know what I was worried about. Hopefully this might have desensitized my ridiculous dentist fear a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport