We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hair colour advice......

Options
Hi all

I'm hoping that I can get some good advice regarding my hair colour. The background is: I have naturally dark hair, howeve, now going grey, I have recently had some highlights put in in the hope that it would help with the grey growing through, but I don't believe it's working. I'm enjoying the highlights, but you can see the grey coming through at the roots......so any suggestions as to what I can do? I'm not totally averse to going grey (I am 53), but just don't want roots showing so dramatically.

Thanks.

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately this is what happens. The roots are the bit that grows out first. Not sure how long your hair is? But you either get a colour or just have to live with the roots growing out and getting your hair cut until totally grey.

I am or was naturally blond, I do use a natural blond shade home dye. But a few washes and the silver comes out, I look like I have highlights in my hair.
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could use a root touch-up product like the Nice N Easy one on your roots, or one of the home colour highlight packs to blend in. You might want to get a friend to help you out with the latter though!

A temporary solution is to use hair mascara on the roots until you can get round to having them re-highlighted - L'Oreal make good ones of these and they just wash out.

Or go all out and use hair chalks to distract other people from focusing on your roots ... (and look at your pink/blue/purple/yellow hair instead :-). You might need a bit of chutzpah to pull this one off.

I've used all three solutions by the way, and all work to come extent!

HTH
  • cherryblossomzel
    Options
    I like highlight to hide my grays a bit. It does work for me, but gets expensive after a while. I can offer two options:

Colour your full head as close as possible to your natural shade. Then keep touching up the roots. I bought a root touch up kit once (it comes with a handy little tray and brush so you can get to the roots). I now buy 2 boxes of colour in the same shade: I use one for the first full-head-colour and then use bits of the second set for the root touch ups (with my tray and brush from the bought kit - just wash them out). I can give you my tips for mixing the right amounts of the chemicals together if you want. I tend to just colour the roots around my hairline and parting, which is the only bits that are generally on show.

I have also used the "Just for men" kits: they come with the little tray and brush too. Again, you'll probably have to stay quite close to your natural shade otherwise it will be very difficult to match colours.
  • SCOYA
    SCOYA Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the input - maybe I should go for grey'ish highlights and then the grey growing through won't notice so much.......:D
  • so_very_confused
    so_very_confused Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I had the same issue. I use Nice n Easy full head colour it covers grey well and also appears very natural having a lot of tones.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have the same problem, unfortunately there's no way of avoiding having to do your roots unless you go completely au naturel and let the grey take over.

I've recently lightened my colour from a natural brown to a light golden brown (L'Oreal Excellence) which helps a bit. I had a few golden highlights put in to help the transition. The gold in the colour on the light grey of my natural colour gives a really nice natural highlight look. I rarely do the whole head, just the roots, but unfortunately I still have to colour every 3 weeks, by them my roots are about 1cm.

I've been using the same brand colour for donkeys years, my hair is still in great condition and unless you see me when my roots need doing you wouldn't know it was dyed.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport