Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Tuesday 30th June - What small DFW things will you do today?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
16 replies 895 views
ziggy2407ziggy2407 Forumite
4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free!

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending!

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!:money:
2020 - Banish the clutter ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Replies

• edited 30 June 2015 at 7:22AM
    ziggy2407ziggy2407 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2015 at 7:22AM
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Little list as plan to make most of nice weather

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Tea in SC - Done
    Measure & start curtain for my re-vamped shed -
    Keep "bumping" my for sale posts -
    Continue purge on Emails -
    Continue purge on FB & Twitter -
    Surveys -
    Check Banks -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com - Remember there are now 5 chances to win -
    Read - wip

Have a great day, love to you all

C x
    2020 - Banish the clutter ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • maria3104maria3104 Forumite
    920 Posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi All

Lovely few days with Aunt. Leaving tomorrow, will have post visit blues!

Not spent any money still eating up the Mr T stuff!

Loving having a few days off to enjoy the weather and relax.

Andy Murray this afternoon, could do with some strawberries and tonic for Aunts gin!!!!

Have fun all.

Maria
  • edited 30 June 2015 at 7:24PM
    DawnWDawnW Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2015 at 7:24PM
    Morning Ziggy, thanks for the start :)

:wave: Hello to everybody else :D (sending Maria some virtual strawberries, but no tonic here, sorry)

Lovely day again today!

Today's list:
    Take items that I prepared yesterday to sales unit. Hopefully a big batch of fresh stock will encourage sales as it has not been a good month :eek: I have an old sweetie shop storage unit with really thick, heavy glass dispensers, and loads of lovely old biscuit and chocolate tins, so something nice for people to look at, at least! The sweetie shop unit sold as soon as I had unpacked it :T

Make scones that I didn't get round to yesterday Done, made small ones and froze half

Washing to dry on line Done, got to put it away now

Tidying in the house and garden, a big pot of mangetout have come to a full stop, so I will pull those out today and give the plants to the chickens -and think what else to put in the pot! Not much done as it has been so hot :o

Pick any garden produce that is ready :)Picked a few strawberries and raspberries :) Baby GD will be here tomorrow to eat any that she can find :rotfl:

Water anything that needs it later Still too hot to do this, but will need to before bedtime

HM meals from stores Done - omelettes for supper today to use some of the egg mountain, with a big salad

Aiming for a NSD Nothing spent :T

Do any surveys that are available 3 onepoll ones

Stick to diet I am 1 point over my allocation today, but am not beating myself up as I was under yesterday and the day before (it was that scone that did it :o)

Right, that should keep me busy!

Hope everyone has a nice day :)

• edited 30 June 2015 at 10:28AM
    determined_new_msdetermined_new_ms Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2015 at 10:28AM
    Hi Ziggy thanks for starting us off!

So today I have to deal with a load of things I'd really rather not :( hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some things I do want to do as well...

Things so far:

* [STRIKE]checked banking[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]worked out where the missing transaction came from from cc statement[/STRIKE]
    *[STRIKE] tidied up the kitchen and lounge[/STRIKE]

To do:

* [STRIKE]call my mother's friend who has been dealing with everything and have a conversation about the funeral and also all of my mum's possessions if there is a will etc [/STRIKE](DREADING THIS) Could not have gone worse...
    * call my ex-boss and have a discussion about a number of things (1stly why they dismissed me!) but also ask that the month's salary "by way of good gesture" is made as an ex gratia payment so I don't get taxed (DREADING THIS)
    * go into town and get things for JSA claim (bank statements etc)
    * while in town purchase things we're going to need over the next week or so. Finish off list for things needed
    * gather other bits of paperwork for application (mortgage details)
    * attend appt at 3 (DREADING THIS)
    * do some more weeding/potting/planting seeds
    * go to community garden project and see if I can get a couple of plants (hoping these will be reasonably priced as money is a concern...)
    *[STRIKE] put pork casserole in the sc[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]divide up and freeze portions of chicken for meals over the next week[/STRIKE]
    * clean oven
    * bake biscuits/cake
    * [STRIKE]call Littlewoods re late payment[/STRIKE]

Ok think that's all I need to do x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • submarine76submarine76 Forumite
    142 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I've just noticed that if I pay off an extra £20 on my credit card when I get home from work, it will bring my DFD forward to Dec 17, sounds so much better than Jan 18 :O)
    LBM 11 Nov 14 Total Debt £25,013.98 DFD 5 Sep 17 Total Debt £0

Emergency Fund £800.00
    Mortgage £73,000
    BTL Mortgage £38,000
  • BobarellaBobarella Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning All

Thanks for the start Ziggy. Good luck with your list!

Dawn - I have to agree that moving things around and putting a new light on things for people is a guaranteed way to get new sales. I worked with a girl who was amazing at shop windows. It really does make a difference. Good luck and sorry you've been having a slow month.

Determined - I am so sorry for how much you have on your plate right now. It's just not fair.
    One question, how can your employer just let you go so quickly? Doesn't it require notice etc?

Maria - how nice to have a little break. Do enjoy the tennis.

Submarine - high five to you! That's excellent progress!

I ended up having a bit of a breakdown myself last night. I have been finding stress getting on top of me and anyway we had a big talk at the worst time. After we'd gone to bed. Why do I always do that? Anyway I am pleased to say it got it all out and I feel better today.

Good stuff - Just checked OH'S pay for the month. He's been paid an extra £200 which is because of the benefits harmonisation I mentioned before. It won't be every month because it will go towards the medical insurance, extra holiday, dental etc. But my goodness it has given us a much needed boost and will cover 9 days of childcare for July! I also had no idea it was going to be that much till today.

I am doing a telephone interview tonight with my business energy supplier and getting paid £30 for it. That will go straight towards my target of £4,500 to hit by end of July.

So feeling quite good so far today. Hugs to all here who need them.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • greensaladgreensalad Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my DFW Day :)

- Did three onepoll surveys. I'm at £33.50 so not far from cashout. I won't do it again though
    - Submitted questionnaire for GFK assessment, due £5 soon which isn't too bad at all.
    - NSD hopefully, got chicken salad and smoothie in the fridge
    - Ordered gym clothes yesterday which will arrive tonight. Will go to the gym, just signed up, gotta ride that train while I'm still eager!
    - Salmon and veg for dinner, healthy!
    - Nearly finished design work, so I can quote for it soon :)

• determined_new_msdetermined_new_ms Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bobarella wrote: »

Determined - I am so sorry for how much you have on your plate right now. It's just not fair.
    One question, how can your employer just let you go so quickly? Doesn't it require notice etc?

Bob

I was in my probation period Bob. It's a long story...

The role had had a series of difficulties over the year I was there. When I started the charity had restructured and made redundant the previous staff (except the accountant). My manager was appointed 4 weeks before I was. He had little guidance/induction and wasn't performing well. At the end of his 6 months they dismissed him. At this point there were 2 of us left (the accountant and me) when we should have been a team of 5.

At that point I was 4 weeks off of my probation review. He had been a terrible manager so the trustees said they would extend my probation so they could assess my performance properly. For a while it was just me and my colleague for a while just trying to get by and cope. There were a series of problems over that time including discovering some of the volunteers/a pt van diver had been involved in stealing a lot of our stock so we had to do an investigation and dismiss the driver/ask some of the volunteers to leave. During this time the accountant was made the manager.

About a week before I should have been confirmed I was told by my manager that my probation needed to be extended again as due to the ongoing difficulties she hadn't been able to meet with me to agree objectives/review my performance. She told me she was happy with my performance and it was what the trustees had asked for but I would be confirmed after this. I met with the chair of trustees who reassured me it was their intention to confirm me in post.

At the beginning of May I had 4 days off sick with tonsillitis and I got a gp cert as my employers haven't been very supportive if I've needed time off and I had previously had 5 days sick throughout the year. Last winter there had been a handful if days (less than 5) I had to take off as either dgd or the childminder was sick, there have been a few days where I went to court for dgd which I always took as annual leave or a handful of times (over a year) I needed to meet with the social worker to discuss dgd's progress but these meetings were always scheduled for 5.30 so I would leave 1/2 hr early and make the time up. On the Thursday before I went on holiday my boss told me the trustees weren't happy about the amount of time I had had off.

When I returned to work last Tuesday after 6 days AL I was called into a meeting and told they weren't confirming me in post so was giving me my notice, effectively immediately and would pay me in lieu of my notice period (1 week because I was in my probation)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • RatisonRatison Forumite
    263 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    DNMS - you're having a really, really tough time of late. I hope the nasty things on your list get sorted in your favour.

Maria - I've got grapefruit and basil that would go lovely with that gin, and some tonic. And I also have more gin (Lidl purchase at the weekend)!

Thanks to Ziggy for starting us off too.

Dawn and greensalad, I'm joining you with the healthy eating today - eating some blueberries now and trying to convince myself they're as tasty as sweets - it's working for now!

Submarine, that's great news about the earlier debt free date. Fingers crossed you can continue to bring it forward :)

Good news on the extra money Bob. I had a tax rebate this month through my salary. As I claimed some tax back from my rental property last month, so I'm feeling very lucky to have had something through my pay too (I think it's lease car related). I've also got a historical claim for tax in, so watch this space (though word is it might take up to a year to be processed).

Anyway, not just boasting, just wanted to celebrate my mindset shift, as the extra money has gone straight into the savings pot. Not to be touched! Old Ratison would have enjoyed spending it all, but this is a new me.

Today I plan to spend nothing - filled up on food at the weekend and fuel yesterday. All meals planned.

I have some surveys to do.

Need to sort out all the sainburys vouchers - to the wombles on here (Bob), can you just take some in to the customer service counter and get them added on? Do you need a previous receipt? I tend to mostly use Lidl now, so Sainsburys bombard me with vouchers when I do go in!
  • BobarellaBobarella Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Determined - I appreciate it is the last thing you want to add to your plate but I wonder if its time to get a solicitor involved. I don't know how lawfully they've acted. Many will give you a free assessment before charging.

Ratison - most CS don't bat an eyelid about adding reciepts on.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.