MoneySaving Poll: How much do you spend on alcohol each year?

Options
Poll started 29 June 2015

How much do you spend on alcohol each year?

There’s lots of talk about overindulging in booze in the UK and the effects on your health, but what about your wealth?

Please add up all your drink spending, including in:
- Pubs/bars
- Supermarkets/off-licences for home consumption
- Restaurants as an accompaniment to food

If possible, look at bank statements for reference. If you’re unsure, try working out what you spend in a typical month then multiply by twelve, or in a typical week by 52.

How much do you spend?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• crowthag
    Options
    I'm surprised you didn't break this down into age groups as you normally do, would show whether it's youngsters or pensioners who spend the most!
    I spend between £1000 & £2000 pa and I'm 63 and male!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I spent £2 last year on a bottle of beer to go into homemade Xmas puds. "Up to £100" is hardly a true reflection, especially when the cooking process probably drove the alcohol out:D
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think that the amount you spend equates to the amount you drink. I've voted £500-£1000pa but, if I were better off, this figure would double because I'd be drinking a far better quality of wine.
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I see from the poll results that men buy far more drinks than women.

Not entirely convinced they drink them all themselves however... :whistle:
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    This is a senseless poll it has absolutely no correlation with the amount spent to the amount consumed.

I could buy very expensive wine/champagne but maybe only drink one bottle per month, or I might be a cheap alcoholic that drinks several litres of cheap cider/wine per night yet spend less than the tasteful upper class choice. I've seen bottles sell for several thousand.

Just what is the point of this survey? Far too many variables involved to provide any meaningful data.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    This is a senseless poll it has absolutely no correlation with the amount spent to the amount consumed.

I could buy very expensive wine/champagne but maybe only drink one bottle per month, or I might be a cheap alcoholic that drinks several litres of cheap cider/wine per night yet spend less than the tasteful upper class choice. I've seen bottles sell for several thousand.

Just what is the point of this survey? Far too many variables involved to provide any meaningful data.

You're quite right that this poll shouldn't be used as a proxy for how much people drink. If that's what we wanted to know we would've asked "How much do you drink?" What we wanted to know is "how much do you spend on alchohol?" - as we are a money site - so we have asked that and the results are interesting too.

Once of my aims in doing it has already worked well - many people spend far more than they think and merely the exercise of answering is self-enlightening. I've already seen the facebook discussion on this many people saying just that. :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I spent £2 last year on a bottle of beer to go into homemade Xmas puds. "Up to £100" is hardly a true reflection, especially when the cooking process probably drove the alcohol out:D

Same here. I spent about £12, but drunk hardly any of it. 2 bottles of wine for presents, and one small bottle of aldi fruit cider that I drank over Christmas watered down with lemonade.
    Zebras rock
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes interesting results.., why is it that so many women spend less but can't afford a taxi home, apparently preferring to spend the night in the gutter?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure