PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

bakin

Options
Hi, I hope I am posting in the right place.

I want to make a cake to look like a graduation cap. I am going to get a "half sphere" tin. If I try to line the tin to make it easier to get the cake out I just know I will end up with odd shapes and creases if I use baking parchment. Does anyone have any suggestions? I believe there are some types of "cling film" that can be used.

Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing.

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • ameliarate
    ameliarate Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Thanks but that doesn't help. It is issues with the actual baking of the cake ie. ensuring it comes out cleanly.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I would bake the cake in a pyrex basin, that has been well greased, then a basic swiss roll, to use as the flat piece on top
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can buy cake release spray, could be worth a try. Otherwise I'd go with well greased, and when you turn it out leave the bowl on top but cover it with a damp cloth for 5-10 mins - did the trick with a shaped cake I baked the other day that felt like it was going to stick.
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    once you ice it the creases will not be seen.

i would cut a big circle of baking paper and but slits down to about 2in from the centre so the leaves will overlap.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• booter
    booter Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've done the same cake, and I greased the half sphere tin, cut the parchment into narrow strips (probably about 1cm wide), and starting at one side of the upturned tin, "stuck" the strips (like forming a "U" shape) to the inside of the tin, working my way around. Really hard to describe, but kind of like making a "nest" of parchment :) . Like the opposite of covering a balloon in papier mache! I didn't need to cover all the inside of the tin, but I'd guess I'd covered about 80% and it worked perfectly. Hope that helps (and that you understand!) :)
  • ameliarate
    ameliarate Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful replied. It will do a "practice" one or two, thank goodness my workmates enjoy cake :rotfl:
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have one of those tins that has all spikes and fancy bits in a ring Klugelhof or something. Anyway I have always gone with the instructions with that tin and nothing sticks. Grease well and coat the layer of fat with flour. Works like a charm every time.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, as alibobsy says, grease well and coat with flour, or cocoa if you're making a chocolate cake. Much easier than faffing with parchment!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure