Debt Repayment

Options
Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice. I have had a debt with Nat West for about 7 years. I have been repaying it monthly, with a yearly payment review, when my payments have increased year on year. Finally, I'm down to my last £5000 of debt to repay. I've just had my recent review where my payments were increased to £400 pm.
I may be in a position in the next month or 2 to repay what is left. The balance is not accruing any interest, so my question is, would there be any benefit to me in paying the balance of as a lump sum, or should I just carry on the monthly payments?
TIA

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me personally, if I had a debt hanging around my neck for 7 years, I would be bluddy ecstatic if I could clear it all at once so I would be free and clear.

But everyone is differerent.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • bennyhill_2
    bennyhill_2 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's the psychological benefit I guess. Have you checked the CRA's to ensure the default marker has been dropped? If not, you could arguably benefit by paying the balance in full (so that the account is marked as settled in full).

Having said that, if there's no default marker showing and you've got an emergency fund in place, and there's no other debts attracting interest, and (sorry!) you don't have a 'better' use for this windfall, I'd say pay it off. If any of the above is not true, I'd say use the money elsewhere - or as an alternative you could ask (again if the default marker has dropped) for a F&F settlement figure which may get you a discount off the balance owed (IMHO if the default marker is in place, dependent on the age, ie: when it's due to drop off, there's little point in not keeping the money - or some of it - for yourself).

Sorry that's a bit long winded...
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Make them an offer to clear the balance, you should be able to get 20-30% discount easy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do you have any other debts, even ones that haven't defaulted?

If yes, and they are accruing interest (even if at a low APR), then use any spare cash to pay them off first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure