taking on foreign students.... is it worth it

Options
i have been offered to take on 2 students at 75 each per week. is it worthwhile by the time the electrics and gas paid out and food. any idea of cheap meals option maybe?

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    75 a week, everything included? Sometimes food isn't.
    ally.
  • March2012
    March2012 Posts: 487 Forumite
    Options
    And just wondering by the time u feed th etc is it worth it?
    asajj wrote: »
    75 a week, everything included? Sometimes food isn't.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do you have a family to consider or just yourself..

My mother was Belgian . Each year we had Belgian teenagers from her village descend on us so that they could learn English. Mum rarely got paid but she liked doing it.

I hated it, so did my sister. They overstayed their welcome, we had to entertain them, our home never felt like home - they were just a nuisance and we couldn't wait to be rid of them.

£75 per week is peanuts for that level of disruption and aggro.

I wouldn't do it for £75O and I certainly wouldn't have subjected my kids to it.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    March2012 wrote: »
    i have been offered to take on 2 students at 75 each per week. is it worthwhile by the time the electrics and gas paid out and food. any idea of cheap meals option maybe?
    You don't need to provide food...well maybe the essentials. Salt, pepper, spices and other bits but not actual meals.

£150 a week all inclusive...no thanks. That's me though.

Cheap meals are simple meals. Stir fry vegetables with rice. Pasta with a tomato based sauce. Meat is not required. They can have a big lunch out at their own cost every day. Breakfast can just be toast with spread..maybe tea, coffee and milk. Squash is fine (but I'd make it up and put it in another bottle in the fridge). Maybe a cooked roast dinner on a Sunday. Don't go overboard. Just the basics.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • VanyaHargreeves
    Options
    As a student, I've never heard of food being provided for lodgers. Generally it's "here's your cupboard, here's your shelf in the fridge, sort yourself out".
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a student, I've never heard of food being provided for lodgers. Generally it's "here's your cupboard, here's your shelf in the fridge, sort yourself out".

This is a completely different situation: young teenagers who have come for a short English course and need to be looked after by an English family.
  • VanyaHargreeves
    Options
    This is a completely different situation: young teenagers who have come for a short English course and need to be looked after by an English family.

I can't see where it says that?

I am a student in a very diverse city and an awful lot of my friends are foreign students. In their first year most of them were lodgers with local families. They had a room, space in kitchen and fridge and were told that if they needed help they could ask, but otherwise they were on their own.
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • March2012
    March2012 Posts: 487 Forumite
    Options
    And yes 3 times a day u have to feed them!

I am a student in a very diverse city and an awful lot of my friends are foreign students. In their first year most of them were lodgers with local families. They had a room, space in kitchen and fridge and were told that if they needed help they could ask, but otherwise they were on their own.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

It doesn't, but I think it is obvious from the OP that this is different from the situation of your friends.
  • Carfal
    Carfal Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget the phone bill!

Never taken any in but have heard the horror stories of the behaviour of young English language students on summer courses. Some are only young teens, which sounds like a huge responsibility. As well as feeding them, you may have to entertain them at the weekend as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure