Help marston high court bailiffs

Options
Can someone give me some advice please
My dad died last year, and it was left to me to sign and take care of the funeral as no one else would, I applied for a funeral grant which got delcinded as I have a brother who is working with a high income...I don't have no contact with him, at the time he lived in London came to the funeral then left, we haven't spoken since and I've recently found out he's moved to Switzerland.
I couldn't afford the debt, so it went to high court, I got a CCJ and they attended my property about 4 months ago, made a payment plan of £200 per month and listed my goods. I've never missed a payment until this month, I called them in advance and explained it would be a week late. Then they called me yesterday saying I've defaulted and I need to pay the full balance by 12pm today...the full balance is nearly £4000 after they've added on £598 for me 'defaulting'
Can they do this? Please someone help me what can I do? I haven't got any savings etc.... The only family I had was my dad, he left no money behind apart from £400 in his bank which my brother claimed before I was even aware. I haven't got anyone I can ask who has that sort of money.
I live with my 2 year old son, I can't have men coming in taking our sofa and tv etc In front of him 😔
I can't stand this hanging over me anymore, i can't try move on after the death of my dad as this is constantly in my way.
Is there anything I can do?????

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you own property ?
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Dana248
    Options
    No I private rent
  • chasingfreedom
    Options
    Just be straight with them and tell them you can't pay and what you can pay and when. I don't know if you can stop the bailiff at this point but its important you try and communicate with them. They want their money and a few household things aren't going to clear the debt so it isn't in their interest to take it. If this is the first default and its only a week late it seems a little heavy handed to me. They could be just trying to scare you into paying.

I wish you luck x
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    What goods have they levied they will have left a list.
    If you have car they have not listed, go move it now away and out of site.

The only real option is to declare for bankruptcy.
  • Dana248
    Options
    The listed the usual, TV's, table, sofa, laptop, ipad, rugs. Not my car and I have moved it. Can they gain entry to my house now as I let them in before? And how can they add on nearly £600 for them making 2 phone calls to me?? It's disgusting
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    They play a game of physiological warfare.
    What they want is money.
    They will bluff about locksmiths and police and shout like drunken yobs at you.

Tell them straight you are offering them the £200 a month or you will declare bankruptcy .
    Take it or leave it.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    I doubt they will run a locksmith for a few chattels and locking the door and going out to get some advice about bankruptcy might be an idea .
    You can not pay, they wont let you pay in instalments so your choices are limited.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    Also report your Brother to the police for the theft of the money in the bank and whatever else from the estate he has taken.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Call National Debtline ASAP on freephone 0808 808 4000
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure