What to pay off first .

in Debt free diaries
6 replies 561 views
Wanted to ask what people think is best to pay first out of the following.

We have 2 mortgages on our property
1 repayment £24k
1 interest only £171k

And then about £35k unsecured debt.

I know not a good position to be in, I cannot get my head round what is bests to start paying of first bearing in my mind the main mortgage has 17 yrs left on it with not much chance of being able to re-mortgage anytime soon so stuck where we are.

Thanks in advance, please be kind I know what a mess I am in.
Skint Mummy

Replies

• stepuptothepl8stepuptothepl8 Forumite
    913 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi, well done on asking for help, that's the hardest bit..

I'd pay off the unsecured debt first. Once you've paid that off then you could look at remortgaging, and overpay (OP). It'd be worth posting an SOA to see where your money goes, and where you can make cut backs.

Good luck x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • skintmummyskintmummy Forumite
    190 Posts
    Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought was probably best but just worry about not overpaying the mortgages.
    I won't post an soa as been over that so many times drive myself insane as nowhere else I can cut back. Think I need to work in my shopping budget as sure I can cut more from there will need to face it and go back to Alde from next week tecso is costing my to much each week.
    Skint Mummy
  • BobarellaBobarella Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    HI skintMummy

Sorry to hear things are so stressful for you. I appreciate you don't want to so a full SOA but what is the situation with that debt, how does it break down? Just wondering if there is anything you can do to move it around for better rates etc.

All the best

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • skintmummyskintmummy Forumite
    190 Posts
    It's spread over a lot of cards, I have no option to move anything around anymore as being declined for more credit on better rates.
    Just think I need to cut every card up and knuckle down and pay stuff off as best I can and try and cut my spending down an sped finally realise we have a problem.
    Skint Mummy
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    Providing you are not in arrears on either of your mortgages I would imagine the unsecured debt is on a higher interest rate so you should start on repaying that. Personally with that amount of debt I would cut up the cards and not use them again. Set up a budget and stick to it and cut down on everything or look at ways to increase your income.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2023 Challenge #8 £12,000/£3700
    The 365 day 1p Challenge 2023 #1 £670.00/£57.00
    The 365 £1 a day Challenge for Christmas 2023 #43 £1000/£200
  • ScottishmummyScottishmummy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Go to https://www.whatsthecost.com and put in each of your cards, their interest rates and the minimum payments. This will work out which one to overpay first where you can and give you an end date. Overpaying on the mortgage can come later.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals