survey sites, should i worry?

Options
Interested in the survey sites...but am worried about divulging too much personal information. Should i be? Ipsos or My Survey in particular. Anyone had problems?
How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)

Comments

• tiahontoast
    tiahontoast Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Ipsos is great. I joined a few weeks ago and it's definitely legitimate; many of my friends are members and they often receive products to trial from there, too. The surveys aren't too personal, and if you don't wish to enter a certain bit of information then there is usually the choice not to answer - though it's definitely not dodgy. Most of the questions are about shopping and products anyway and it's pretty easy to qualify for surveys on Ipsos. I get at least 5 surveys a week, even more sometimes. I'd really recommend it.

I've not joined My Survey so can't give any thoughts on that, but I'm a member of sites like Swagbucks (My favourite) that offer surveys as a way to earn credit - these are sometimes connected with survey sites like Ipsos or valued opinions. (Again, perfectly safe)

I think if you've got the time and patience and want to boost your income just a bit, give surveys a go! Why not?:D
    MSE newbie:A
  • pointsguy
    pointsguy Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried as they only need your valuable opinions.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So long as it's a legit site you shouldn't have to worry about giving them information. The surveys are usually through other companies and you can be redirected off site. Either way, your answers are going to another company. Surveys themselves often don't ask for that much personal information (often area you live, gender and age) or if they do you can decline to answer. The actual surveys are your opinions.

If you don't feel comfortable giving them specific information then don't. There's nothing forcing you to answer any survey.

As for offers (if you use a site that has them), I use WOT (Web of Trust) on Firefox and it'll tell you if you've clicked on a really dodgy/untrusted site so then you can close it. Make sure you have a good anti-virus too as that should warn you straight away if you click on a site with virus/malware issues.

There are various offers that don't require any or much info but if they ask for an email address use one set up just for survey/offer sites in case you get any spam.

For the most part though just use common sense and read things properly. If the survey/offer starts asking for payment details and you're doing a free offer don't just give them the details anyway. The sites should be checking and monitoring what they put up anyway, but it's best to be on the safe side.

I've never had any problems and there are many others who do surveys without any issues either.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys. Have set up a separate e-mail to try and avoid spam. So might give it a go.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • tiahontoast
    tiahontoast Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help guys. Have set up a separate e-mail to try and avoid spam. So might give it a go.

That's a great idea; you should definitely give surveys a go! :p
    MSE newbie:A
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it true that you should also register as being self-employed (or how many of you do!!)....or only if you think it might take you over the Personal allowance? I'd rather not have to do self-assessment tax. If you do have to...is it only after you've actually earned any money?? Seems a lot of hassle if all you earn is say £20!!
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Is it true that you should also register as being self-employed (or how many of you do!!)....or only if you think it might take you over the Personal allowance? I'd rather not have to do self-assessment tax. If you do have to...is it only after you've actually earned any money?? Seems a lot of hassle if all you earn is say £20!!

It's a grey area. Some say yes, you're earning money.

However, these sites do not employ you, it is in no way a job and a large amount of them claim they are rewarding you. In a lot of cases the sites offer gift cards instead of or as well as cash.

Some say they've contacted HMRC and been told it doesn't count, others do include what they get when doing taxes. I imagine there are far more people who don't declare it than who do though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure