Generous benefits package = more likely to treat staff well?

Options
As the title says really...I'm curious to know whether, from experience, people would say that if an employer has a generous benefits package it's a good indication that they respect their employees and are more likely to be a "good" employer, so to speak? Obviously not all employers are able to offer lots of benefits, for various reasons, and I'm not suggesting that that makes them "bad" employers, but generally, if the package is good is it a good sign?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's may be true that a company with a good benefits package will be a good employer but it's equally possible that a heck of a lot will be expected of the employee because of the good package.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 May 2015 at 4:12PM
    Options
    Yes, but I'm wondering what gives.

I know of a company gives 32 days holiday, gym downstairs, car parking, unlimited tea and coffee, feed lunch twice per week not that there is any structure, all in a beautiful office (I couldn't make it up) :o

...They seem to like sacking you as quick as starting and or don't train so I don't know if you compromise future development by these benefits? if you aren't one of those sacked, woe betide if you are not on time for work or meet targets it seems to me! Management not always around?

Should we not be in discussion time? xx
  • Babbawah
    Babbawah Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    I consider myself to be a very beneficial employer . . . yet it would be suicide for me to advertise that fact.

Consider this, the most truth you will ever hear. The best jobs don't need to be advertised.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Most of these roles come with higher expectations from the employee and you already mentioned that I think.

I think it could be an indication that it is a good employer but not always of course.

Google has great benefits but they equally recruit the best and to keep them, they need to offer high incentives. They are also a good employer.
    ally.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Benefit packages are rarely decided by line managers, or even their managers - and they are the people that will influence your experience on a day to day basis. Hence I would say the two are not directly related.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    It could be that they are that poor an employer, their reputation means the available pool of employees has dried up and they need attract someone, anyone.
  • missindecisive
    Options
    In my previous employment we had a generous benefits package with good holidays, staff bonus , preferential rate loans and mortgages, good sick pay etc etc.
    Needless to say my office supervisor was a complete stress head with a whole host of personal problems which she brought into work, making the office environment toxic. My manager at the time was a letch and made openly cringeworthy, sexual harassment comments to myself and the other younger female staff in the office. He was a complete idiot, totally unprofessional. The big boss was on the countdown to retirement and constantly turned a blind eye to the corrupt activity that was going on amongst staff and office practice's.
    So in answer to your question, No, a generous benefits package does not guarantee you will have a good place to work!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My current work has some great benefits: good sickpay, well above minimum holidays. However I am confident I could earn double my salary pretty soon if I left.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • easylife73
    easylife73 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some interesting viewpoints, think I'd been rather over-simplifying it!

It's mostly the basic stuff, and is for a major charity, things like holidays, pension, holiday days buy back, option for health/dental schemes, car lease etc, nothing extreme!
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    easylife73 wrote: »
    Some interesting viewpoints, think I'd been rather over-simplifying it!

It's mostly the basic stuff, and is for a major charity, things like holidays, pension, holiday days buy back, option for health/dental schemes, car lease etc, nothing extreme!

Nice to know what this charity is using donations for. Certainly not the cause they are trying to help. Care to name them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure