PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any curry experts?

Options

Comments

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    McpPsl wrote: »
    Could it be this one by Curry Queen?

hth

You beat me to it Nuatha!

Great minds :)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A curry base / gravy sauce is a great thing to have in the freezer. You can make loads of different styles of curries from it and "feed" an Indian takeaway curry craving too! Very cheap to do in bulk.

I've found this forum very inspirational for HM curry nights.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php

tikka2_zps7cfc2b35.jpg
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    A curry base / gravy sauce is a great thing to have in the freezer. You can make loads of different styles of curries from it and "feed" an Indian takeaway curry craving too! Very cheap to do in bulk.

I've found this forum very inspirational for HM curry nights.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php

tikka2_zps7cfc2b35.jpg

Wow, that spread looks amazing!!! :) cannot wait to start....
  • bigmaz
    Options
    Spent over £30 on Spic of India, I better make it worth it. Only have to make a few meals to make it pay for itself over getting take aways :)
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    a level tablespoon each of minced garlic and ginger seems quite conservative for the amount of other ingredients. If you don't fancy loads of chopping then the jars from ethnic grocery stores and some supermarkets are good value and keep for ages in the fridge once opened. You can also freeze minced garlic and ginger if you fancy making your own in bulk and then storing in the freezer in ice cube trays or spoonfuls which can be put in a bag after freezing on a baking tray and then used from frozen. You can also freeze whole ginger root and grate it from frozen when required.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I second the freezing of the whole ginger root, I'm not so fond of frozen garlic though and my recent experiment with chilies in the freezer disappointed me lol.

I love homemade takeaway style curries. Saves a fortune if you pre plan and get ahead with some of the carryout restaurants' tricks from that forum.

Recently discovered I could do nan breads on my gran' pancake girdle using a basic bread dough. Couldn't believe how easy it was and it cost buttons to make.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigmaz wrote: »
    Lol, its just a base gravy for curries, its not an actual curry recipe :)

It's the concept of a "base gravy" that's disgusting.
  • bigmaz
    Options
    It's the concept of a "base gravy" that's disgusting.

Lol, OK...... :p
  • richyg
    richyg Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    This guy Julian also does a series of vidoes including "base" gravy videos. eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4oIVzfQZ4

I agree that the thought of it as a gravy isnt great but I did do the equivalent from the curry secret book referred to and it does make for authentic - BIR or British Indian Restaurant style curries.

The purists often comment about it not being the homemade way of doing things but it seems to be how the 10 minute takeaway curry is actually done.
  • bigmaz
    Options
    Similar to the guys Youtube I linked to :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure