PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Next door's conservatory...

Options

Comments

• ruby-roo_2
    ruby-roo_2 Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Not an echo, but clearly someone who cant read a sentence and deduce the stress on the word will?;)

Where have I been confrontational? You on the other hand....

You seem to think that marching round and in your words "telling" them rather than my plan to "discuss it" (albeit at different points in time) shows you to be more reasonable.

Again, I think we differ. I do agree that one of us is wrong though.:D

Making an effort to inform neighbours by telling them of your plans in advance of starting anything, gives them the chance to raise concerns with you and to talk things over. 9/10 you can put their minds at rest or agree on small compromises if needed. It doesn't come down to being heavy handed and disregarding them, but shows respect and manners.
    If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants ~ Isaac Newton
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    Dan-Dan wrote: »
    Andy , what is your thoughts on the OP being bold enough to phone building control about it , but not to have a chat about it face to face with the neighbour concerned?

Does not sit well from where i am (or for the potential neighbour), personally

Phoning for guidance from building control is a wise thing to do. What point is there mooting a course of action with the neighbour or starting one which is not permitted? Regardless of which tack the OP chooses with regard to involving the neighbours she now knows what she is allowed to do. That doesn't mean she is going to do it.
  • MrsFingersCrossed
    Options
    All very interesting. Thank you all for your opinions. Fivetide - earlier in the thread I did actually thank everyone even though we wouldn't necessarily be acting on their advice.

We will speak to our neighbours, of course we will. We are friendly, sociable, reasonable (not passive-aggressive!) people. But we won't be bothering them with some hypothetical situation when we haven't even exchanged contracts.

We rang the planning office to find out what we are allowed to do, as advised by our solicitor and surely what any sensible person would do before paying hundreds of thousands for a new home.

The day after we've moved we will pop round and say hello, to both our immediate neighbours and maybe the people opposite as well. By that time I expect the plants in pots and potting bench we're taking will be standing on our patio. Those neighbours will see shapes and shadows new on our side and realise that a family has moved in. That's the way things will be - a normal, family home, with hubub and fresh life going on. Life will be different for both neighbours who for a long time have had an empty house between them.

Sidefx, I imagine at the moment they hop over the wall to clean their windows on our side. I relayed what Planning said because I found it so extraordinary.
    As a fan of THE NUMBER THREAD, our NUMBER IS £22,000 a year = FREEDOM
    Amended 2019 - new NUMBER is approx £27k pa nett (touch wood)
    Amended 2021 - new NUMBER is approx £29k pa nett - heading that way...fingers crossed!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Fingers crossed it will all work out well anyway.

My feeling would be they quite likely have been used to just doing a "hop over the wall" to clean the other side of their conservatory windows.

I know my nfh had clearly been used to just coming into my garden without bothering to even ask permission of the house-owner - and I was shocked to find that she expected to carry right on coming and going on my property without bothering to ask my permission for anything
    - well she did.....:cool:.

It soon had to be made plain that I expected "standard practice" - ie being asked.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The situation you are describing sounds much like mine. In my case, I live in the house with the conservatory with frosted glass looking out onto the neighbours' side. The told us they were putting up a fence the night before they did it, which I was a bit miffed about because, while I completely understood their desire for more privacy I was worried about the light issue and would have preferred that they put up trellis as a half way measure (did ask, they said no). However, while we did lose some light, the advantages not feeling overlooked ourselves have massively outweighed the slight disadvantages and I'm glad they did it (although I am wondering how to dig out a large weed/tree thing that is growing between the conservatory and their fence!). We soon got used to a frosted fence panel as a view! Ironically, we'd been considering offering to go halves with them on some fencing, had they told us sooner they could have halved both their costs and their workload.

Discuss it with them, they may not mind at all!
  • MrsFingersCrossed
    Options
    Thanks, Kathy - that is great to know. :)
    Amended 2021 - new NUMBER is approx £29k pa nett - heading that way...fingers crossed!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't read this thread in depth, but it seems to me that a bit of compromise all round would result in a better property for both neighbour/potential owner.

The conservatory wall, whether it's made of glass or cream cheese, is a party wall, which the OP has the right to build up to if they buy, but rights and practicalities of the situation are different things.

For this reason, a conversation with the neighbour is needed, now.

You only have to look at this forum to see that some people are very capable of initiating that conversation, or of receiving it graciously, with due consideration, while others may be less skilled or open-minded. There's therefore no sure way to know where the conversation will go, or what the outcome could be, but by having it, the OP will be in a much clearer place to make a decision.

The physical job of changing things to the eventual benefit of both parties is likely a simple one, but if I were the OP, I'd be expecting to pay for it.
  • MrsFingersCrossed
    Options
    We absolutely would expect to pay for whatever changes we might (or might not) make to our garden. Where we are now we offered to pay for and did the actual manual work of replacing our next door neighbour's fence which was falling down. He didn't mind it covered in ivy and falling down, (he's not a gardener) but we didn't like the way it looked and it was collapsing into our flowerbeds, so we offered and were happy to replace at our cost. He was a friend before and he is still a friend now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The conservatory wall, whether it's made of glass or cream cheese, is a party wall, .
    It is NOT a party wall. Unless I have misread the OP then the wall abuts the boundary I.E. the whole structure is completely on the neighbours property tight to the boundary. This does not make it a party wall.

However the Party Wall Act may come in to force for any work required on the boundary due to the closeness of the building.
  • MrsFingersCrossed
    Options
    Correct, !!!!!!. We hope to put a pergola there, projecting out from our rear wall / patio doors, set a few inches inside the boundary so the posts won't disrupt neighbour's conservatory foundations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure