PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Next door's conservatory...

Options

Comments

• Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    I think if the OP needs to speak to them on another issue then, yes, they could mention their plans for the garden, but otherwise I wouldn't make a special trip to do it.

There is nothing wrong with talking if you have an issue to sort out which they have input into, here they don't. The bottom line is that if they are going to object they will do it regardless of whether their input has been sought. Either way just "telling" them is not going to make a jot of diference to to how they react.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Either way just "telling" them is not going to make a jot of diference to to how they react.

Then lets agree to disagree.

If someone started banging something up against my conservatory (possibly blocking light I don't know the orientation of the garden) then I'd be annoyed and want to know what was going on.

NOW, if they came round, said hi and explained they didn't feel comfy gazing into my conservatory and would be putting up a fence then I wouldn't get a surprise and I wouldn't feel that the new neighbours were the sort of unconfrontational passive aggressive types they are going to come across as.

In fact, I might even offer to help do it. I may want to know what provision will be made for keeping the window clean depending how close the ivy is to the glass etc.

Politeness, costs nothing but buys a lot of goodwill. Speaking to them may have a benefit, it may not. Not speaking has no benefits at all. QED you go with the one that has the potential to give the easiest life.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • giddypenguin
    giddypenguin Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    So you've spoken to planning but won't speak to your neighbours? I doubt they'll be impressed (even if it is your legal right to do it) and could lead to a disastrous relationship with them. We used to have bad neighbours, but are very lucky to be surrounded by fab neighbours now....makes the world of difference!
  • Andypandyboy
    edited 28 May 2015 at 3:52PM
    Options
    I think we will have to agree to differ.

You see, I don't think it is particularly polite to go round and have a conversation which gives the neighbours the impression that you are going to do something that you have thought about and realised they may not like but you are doing it anyway.

Regardless of how you dress it up that is the bottom line of the message you are giving them. To me, it is preferable to start doing the groundwork in the garden and be prepared to discuss it at that point if they seem interested/put out. Then you can go down the "really sorry, it never entered my head you would have an issue with it route" and take it from there.
  • King_Slayer
    King_Slayer Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really can't see the harm in OP politely informing their neighbour about their intentions. Regardless to whether the y then decide to object. At the end of the day OP will have to live next door. Don't and be prepared for a world of awkwardness. :D (speaking from experience even though I was in the right) it's just not worth the hassle.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2015 at 4:26PM
    Options
    I think we will have to agree to differ.

That's what I said. Is there an echo in here?

Seems, like the OP (only thanking posts that agree with her thought process) you are happy to be confrontational online but shy away from actually having a conversation in real life.

I think it will bite the OP in the backside. I've explained why. Simply put, you seem to think you should just do something that might upset your new neighbours, I don't. I can't agree with your approach because that would make us both wrong ;)

EDIT: a review of those who have expressed an opinion on talk or not in this thread says No 3 - you, the OP and moneystootight) and 9 for have a conversation. Therefore the ayes have it as they say. QED - talk, you won't lose anything but could gain.

End of debate.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You do not want passive aggressive neighbours , they are the worst , take it from someone that knows
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • Andypandyboy
    Options
    fivetide wrote: »
    That's what I said. Is there an echo in here?

Seems, like the OP (only thanking posts that agree with her thought process) you are happy to be confrontational online but shy away from actually having a conversation in real life.

I think it will bite the OP in the backside. I've explained why. Simply put, you seem to think you should just do something that might upset your new neighbours, I don't. I can't agree with your approach because that would make us both wrong ;)

Not an echo, but clearly someone who cant read a sentence and deduce the stress on the word will?;)

Where have I been confrontational? You on the other hand....

You seem to think that marching round and in your words "telling" them rather than my plan to "discuss it" (albeit at different points in time) shows you to be more reasonable.

Again, I think we differ. I do agree that one of us is wrong though.:D
  • sidefx
    sidefx Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2015 at 4:48PM
    Options
    No. The side boundary is the neighbour's conservatory extension (which sides on to our patio). They must have knocked down the garden wall to build it - ie where the conservatory ends is where the (now) raw edge of the original garden wall starts.

You seem concerned about how they will clean their windows if you build next to their conservatory?

Might I ask how they manage to clean them now without accessing your patio?
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Andy , what is your thoughts on the OP being bold enough to phone building control about it , but not to have a chat about it face to face with the neighbour concerned?

Does not sit well from where i am (or for the potential neighbour), personally
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure