PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How clean is your house right now?

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    under the clutter.. clean...

Toys, clothes, paperwork seems to be everywhere and my landing is my ebay stockroom.. My children are piglets and make a disgusting amount of mess!

My house is lived in, it is an impossibility for it to be showhome Spartan and even if I could I wouldn't want it.. it would be cold and unwelcoming.. I hate houses where you feel you can't sit back for fear of squashing a cushion and daren't put your bag down you cannot relax like that!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not brilliant at the moment ,but i had an operation a few weeks ago and can't ligt or bend very well so it will have to wait until I can Its clean enough but I can see where the dust is:0 but as I live alone its only me that sees it.Just managed to push the hoover round upstairs and feel cream crackered now so no more for me today
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Emm-in-a-pickle Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "The room of disarray" - Love it!

My bathroom is spotless....because I HAD to deal with it after bathing the dog today. (Dog herself is pretty clean too.)

The kitchen is ok, (I`ve prepped and frozen loads of fruit, made a giant lasagne, and cleaned up after my efforts) but the rest of the house is DIRE & needs blitzing, as I`ve been concentrating on fighting the jungly garden lately and have neglected indoors for a bit. I`ve filled green wheeliebin with pulled up goosegrass & nettles while the Menfolk stayed indoors as it`s a bit cooler.
    While I`m underwhelmed at the lack of assistance here I feel I have nothing to apologise for. If a neighbour calls in they know they`re welcome despite the mess and they know I`m not idle, just can`t do everything and have to prioritise!
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mine isn't very clean, the builders are here putting up a new living room ceiling and plastering the walls. The living room has scaffolding all over and the downstairs has a fine layer of dust everywhere.

It could be worse!
  • PenniesMake£s
    Options
    Today, the house is a mess and needs a good clean too. I decided last Tuesday that I was going to treat Tuesday as the day I would have "the cleaner" in. "The cleaner" being me ;). So what would I do the morning the cleaner was coming? I'd need to make sure everything was put away so "she" could clean. The dishes would need to be washed and put away. "The cleaner" would not answer the phone if it rang or open the post or stop to reload the washing machine, "she" would just get on with the jobs. I would want her to wipe the kitchen countertops, bleach the sink, clean the microwave, dust, Hoover and mop everwhere and clean the bathroom and change the bedding (I don't think cleaners usually do this but this is my made up cleaner:p). So I did this last Tuesday in 2 hours and was exhausted but the house was lovely at the end of it. So I'm going to stick with this plan. On a Monday I'm going to catch up on all the laundry knowing that I will have all the bedding to wash on tuesday after "the cleaner" has been.

So being Saturday today the house is a bit messy. I will tidy away the toys, sweep the floor, try to get my husband to put the dishes away and empty the bins. That's just downstairs, I will tidy upstairs tomorrow as I feel like flopping on the sofa this evening and watching some tv.

And leave the big cleaning jobs for "the cleaner":rotfl:
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    Options
    I love the idea of having the cleaner coming!
  • NoGoodNamesLeft
    Options
    Mine's spotless. Well it must be - there's no way dirt could get through the protective layer of dust and clutter.

We haven't finshed putting everything away after we moved in, but we are now living in the most gorgeous little country village and it seems like a waste of free time to spend it indoors cleaning. The mess will still be there when the weather gets bad :D
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,897 Forumite
    Options
    I know it seems like it's hard to get on top of things but in years to come you will be grateful for having spent time with them instead of cleaning. Mine are 18 & 20 now and although we spent a lot of time doing activities/in the garden/feeding ducks/play parks/days out etc, I do regret all the time I spent cleaning as it would have been better spent with my girls. I still haven't done my jobs for today as both my girls are home and sat downstairs and I am enjoying the time with them as I very rarely get to spend quality time with them now.

One of the best things I read when I had young children was to spend more time with them instead of more housework. It said that in years to come the children will no longer be there, but the housework will still remain.

I have to admit that despite my children having long flown the nest, I still have the housework to do.

My house is not that clean or tidy at the moment as I have just returned from a holiday and I am in the middle of lots of washing. It will get sorted but I seem to work slower than when I had a family around me making lots of mess.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm with the young kids camp. We are generally ok ignoring the pens and paper lying around plus two big boxes each with a cushion in (don't ask).

It's toys and laundry- the rest is fine (to me!)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    I love the idea of having the cleaner coming!

It would be nice - but I would end up cleaning before the cleaner came so it's a bit - well pointless really :D

My home is pretty clean most of the time. Two dogs and a cat and the fact we live in the country and with all it entails it's alright.

I have a big blitz once a week, I write down a list and then crack on with it the following day crossing things off the list as I have done. Find that motivates me very well.

I then vacuum up either every day or every other day. Washing is always on top of and I clean up as I go along so when it comes to super clean day it's not so bad!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport