PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vinegar rinse for the dog!

Options
My poor little dog, he started choking with the fumes from the vinegar! I read somewhere that it made a lovely rinse for a dog but didn't say how much so I used half and half. Obviously far too much, my eyes are smarting too. I rinsed him thoroughly with the shower but the bathroom still stinks. Does anyone know what the quantities are. I've only just started doing the vinegar thing... he's gone into hiding, probably need lots of doggie biccies before he comes out!

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Ahhh, poor little dog. I don't know the quantities for a rinse I only know that you can put (I thought it was neat) vinegar on a cotton wool ball and stroke them with it to improve their coat.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is the vinegar supposed to do - for the dog? Missed the original post.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Trying2Save_3
    Trying2Save_3 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    This is what it said: Use a half half mix with water and vinegar dab on the offending patch if hes made a mistake. if he just stinks!! wash him and rinse him in vinegar solution with water the way youd do your hair and hell be shiny and new or rinse with a borax solution.

I thought it would make his coat nice and shiny! He's retreated to his basket now, I've probably put him off bathtime for good.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't interfere with the natural oils in a dog's coat at all! Not only do you run the risk of skin allergy, but if the natural oil is stripped away, the dog could have little protection against the cold & wet weather. If you really must wash your dog (why?) then do so by hosing him down in the garden in good weather then rub him dry with his towel. In this weather, I would only use warm water, rub the dog dry and leave him indoors to recover.

When you say
    Use a half half mix with water and vinegar dab on the offending patch if hes made a mistake.
    Is this to do with house training a puppy? The only important thing here is if he pees on the carpet you need remove the scent from the place where he pee'd. Otherwise, he may associate the spot with a "toilet" and be tempted to re-offend in the same spot.

Just use plain water to wash your dog and only do so when absolutely necessary. The best way to get his coat shiny is through his diet and grooming. Above all, remember he's a dog. No offence, but he's not a doll ;)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: Awww, bless your heart!!

The half and half is for their mess.

A vinegar hair rinse (which you quote as being ok for a smelly dog) really is only a couple of Tbsp per jug of water.

Poor little K9! LOL He deserves a STEAK! :rotfl:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hardly blame him... :)
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you really must wash your dog (why?) then do so by hosing him down in the garden in good weather then rub him dry with his towel.

Don't forget to use some dog shampoo.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • Trying2Save_3
    Options
    He's fine now and no he's definately not a doll and we don't treat him as one. He goes to the allotment with me every day but today somebody had a delivery of manure and he had a wonderful time rolling around in it. He is long haired and was very smelly.....
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't forget to use some dog shampoo.

Personally, I wouldn't - for the reasons previously stated, about the risk of stripping the dog's natural oil from his coat. If you do this and the dog is then exposed to cold/wet weather, you run the risk of him getting a serious chill and worse!

Dogs don't need shampoo. A good brush when they're dry will do more good. It will dislodge the grubbiness and stimulate the production of more natural oil. If you must wash him, just use water.
  • Trying2Save_3
    Options
    Hi DFC - you seem very knowledgeable about dogs, do you breed them, show them, work with them, own them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure