3,4 or 5 year journey to financial freedom

Options

Comments

• k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think, as the young people say, "JFDI"... :)

Good luck!
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • jerrysimon
    jerrysimon Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 22 May 2017 at 8:24AM
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    I think, as the young people say, "JFDI"... :)

Good luck!

That's the route I went down end of March this year aged 56 :)

Waiting for my second monthly pension paymemnt. Its important to look at net monthly income as much as pension annual salary. No pension or NI payments anymore. I took the hit on taking my DB pension early.

My current feeling is thank God I did not wait!

PS our figures are lower than yours. We are mortage/debt free with 60K of savings and a net income of 1500/month.

Jerry.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2017 at 8:45AM
    Options
    frugal90 wrote: »
    quick update ... feeling good about things at the moment and the fact I now have choice
    Worth a look at Ablrate P2P when their ISA launches in early to mid June. Around 10% after allowing a couple of percent for bad debt should be very competitive with ITs.

80k in cash bugs me when I know it could be generating 1Ok a year of income in say MoneyThing, again after allowing for bad debt. From the cash and IT pots combined I'd be looking to get £30k of income a year at the moment. I'd also look to take the as free lump sums from the SIPPs now to use for additional income generation, potentially another £3.5-4k a year.

Though given your future income from DB pensions quite rapid drawing to sustain your income at a high level from retiring to reaching normal pension age for those DB pensions looks like a good move.

From the look of it you'll have around £37k in DB plus a pair of state pensions at say 8k each for a total of £53k of guaranteed income.

P2P without capital drawing seems to have about £34k of potential a year with SIPP tax free lump sums included. That's an initial shortfall of about £19k a year but it looks as though the taxable 75% of the SIPPs can bridge that.

So retiring now - well, end of August 2017 - on £53k+ of income looks entirely reasonable to me if you want to do it.
  • LadyTC
    LadyTC Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello

I have just posted for the first time in the mortgage thread because I have been advised by a family member to increase my pension contributions rather than pay down my mortgage due to my very low mortgage rate/higher tax relief. Myself (56) and my partner (55) hope to both pack up at lest full-time work in 5 years time and like Frugal90 we want to do more travelling - particularly around the UK.

The same family member has recommended that I sign up with Retireeasy to do some lifetime planning and it costs £3 per month which is pretty low. Has anyone on here used Retireeasy and it is any good, worth the money etc? Are there any similar tools out there - I can't find any on google.

I'd prefer to DIY rather than have the expense of an adviser if I could find a decent online tool.

Grateful for any help.

Lady T
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Lady T,

Start your own thread for the most/best replies.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The initial advice you received was good. At 55 you're both in a position where you can pay into pay into pensions, get the tax relief then soon after take out the 25% tax free lump sum, leaving the rest for later. Provided you can afford it ths gives you the potential to save the income tax on much of your pay.

It's particularly foolish for a 55 year old or older to directly pay off a mortgage without first putting the money in a pension.

If you can't afford to pay in your whole pay it's entirely possible that we will suggest withdrawing your past overpayments so you can undo the harm you've done to your finances by not using the pension pay in first.
  • frugal90
    frugal90 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    quick update again

definetely enjoying work more this year knowing that I could pack it in anytime- going to enjoy the run in to next summer.

My ISA £111K income generating ITs
    Spouse ISA £128K income generating ITs

total £239K

My SIPP (Cash) £70.5 K to be draw over 3 years until age 60 - £23 500 small tax liability as no other income

My wife's SIPP(Cash) £84K to be drawn over 5 years

Cash holding - atom/NSI/bank 123 £86 500

Retirement date June 30th 2018 -

Teachers pension kicks in May 2022 - £20.5 k per year plus £61.5 K lump

Spouse Pension Kick in July 2028 - £16.3 K per year plus £45k lump- now going to take the career average bit at 60

Total ISAS/SIPP/Cash= £480K

State pensions both when we hit 67 at the moment

regards to all

frugal
    Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it
  • robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 5:19PM
    Options
    frugal90 wrote: »

definetely enjoying work more this year knowing that I could pack it in anytime- going to enjoy the run in to next summer.

Nice to see your plans are doing well. It does take a bit of the pressure off when you know that you have the choice whether to be there or not.
  • frugal90
    frugal90 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jan 2018 update, things definetely going well and summer 2018 is when we will JFDI, as a previous poster told me that young people say.

My ISA is now £122K income generating ITs
    Spouse ISA £132K income generating ITs

total £254K

My SIPP (Cash) £70.5 K to be draw over 3 years until age 60 - £23 500 small tax liability as no other income

My wife's SIPP in IT's £89200K to be drawn over 5 years

Cash holding - atom/NSI/bank 123 £90500

Retirement date June 30th 2018 -

Teachers pension kicks in May 2022 - £20.5 k per year plus £61.5 K lump

Spouse Pension Kick in July 2028 - £16.3 K per year plus £45k lump- now going to take the career average bit at 60

Total ISAS/SIPP/Cash= £505464

State pensions both when we hit 67 at the moment

aware that stocks are high at the moment hence the high cash holding in case of a crash

anyone else stopping the rat race in summer 2018?

frugal
    Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    my partner quits regular employment that summer ( I oosted on here asking for feedback on his position Hopefully would do self employed bits and bobs but if not he could live of his savings and investments or take the pension early.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure