Haggling for Engagement Rings

Options
Who here managed to haggle the price down on their engagement ring?

OHs family have always used the same (excellent) family jeweller and yesterday he insinuated he might give us a discount (the ring I like is £3.5k :eek:)

We were thinking of asking him for X amount off if we do all the rings with him in one go (he will be making them for us).

Are there any other good haggling points? Perhaps X years of free repairs/cleaning etc? A better diamond for the price? I'm rubbish at haggling but this expense is too much to feel shy over :o

Comments

• daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If the ring costs £3.5k how much would it be elswhere? E.g. Hatton Gardens, Jewellery Quarter or online? What's the happy medium between loyalty and cost?
    I don't think free cleaning is worth anything, all the shops I visited offered it, gets you back in so they can sell you more jewellery I guess, and hopefully you'll have no need for repairs.
    Once you have decided what you think is the fair price offer it (or lower if you like to haggle) and be prepaired to walk away if you cant reach a price you're happy with.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think we are going to go in and get exact details of the diamonds etc then take a trip to hatton gardens and look at blue Nile etc and see if he will match :)

Thanks for your input!
  • smart_cookie
    smart_cookie Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    If you have any gold items that you don't use/wear anymore, you could ask to sell it to them at the same time and ask how much it will knock off the price (sort of like part exchanging a car). The prices for this do vary, though, so shop around! We got offered different prices for the same gold.
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say the best tactic is to ask him for his absolute best price and then try for another 10%.

I managed 20% off in the Jewellery Quarter from somewhere I've purchased things from before and she recognised me. Their prices are already much less than high street however, so difficult to say what a good deal in your case would be.

£3.5k sounds a lot though, so I'd be making sure the diamonds are certified and of good quality for the money. You need to be visiting somewhere else to compare what they charge for the same ring to make sure the price is fair.

I wouldn't ask about other rings at this stage. Get the engagement ring discounted first and then when your ready to order the others ask for the same discount you had last time :)
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the end we managed to get OHs wedding ring thrown in for free! I compared with Blue Nile etc for the quality and size of the diamonds, and our local shop was a reasonable price :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure