Notice period

Options
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice, I am currently working for a company on a zero hour contract. I have come to the end of my probationary period. However for personal reasons I need to leave. Although they have recently given me a contract, I haven't returned a signed copy to them.

The contract says I have to give 4 weeks notice once I complete the probationary period.

But I was wondering, does the zero hour contract have an effect? Does the fact that they haven't received a signed contract have any impact on the amount of notice I need to give

I don't want to part on bad terms at all, I have enjoyed working for them but because of recent events I need to leave as quickly as I can

Many thanks

Alison
Started comping again Sept 2013
Best wins: Currys wishlist, 3 Laptop's, a PS4 and an Espresso machine • fridge freezer • £100 M&S vouchers
46 wins totalling approx £3000 since September 2013
.•* Thank you to everyone that posts competitions*•.
:A

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Speak to them personally? only a few are really un-approachable

Be sorry and let them know you know are in the wrong, over a month's service does require notice worked

Offer to help fill your job?

xx
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Since zero hours are mutualy agreed working you can just turn down offers of work and give notice.

The contract may not be a proper zero hours and you are no on 4 weeks notice so will need to negotiate.

Signing makes no difference, you would have to have rejected the change within a short time period.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Signing technically makes no difference, if both sides act as if a contract has been signed (ie you turn up to work, they pay you etc) then its considered signed for all intents.

As others have said, with a normal zero hour contract you have the right to decline any hours you're offered and so whilst technically you'd be under contract for the 4 weeks you've no obligation to accept any of the offers of work.
  • Ali1802
    Ali1802 Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going into the office tomorrow on an unrelated matter. I handed in my notice on Sunday (put It through the door) told them it was effective from Monday but didn't put an end date on as I didn't know how long to put on it. As yet they haven't even acknowledged my letter, so I'll see what they say tomorrow.
    Started comping again Sept 2013
    Best wins: Currys wishlist, 3 Laptop's, a PS4 and an Espresso machine • fridge freezer • £100 M&S vouchers
    46 wins totalling approx £3000 since September 2013
    .•* Thank you to everyone that posts competitions*•.
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport