St John's wort tablets/capsules

Options
rothchick
rothchick Posts: 159 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 May 2015 at 9:23AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I'm reaching out to those who have ever tried St John's wort tablets/capsules to get your opinion and advice.

I'm really struggling at the moment, mainly trying to cope with my mother's suicide.

I was coping at first (went into auto pilot), then had a bit of a breakdown and had to have 6 weeks off work due to major anxiety issues. I saw a therapist which was arranged through work. I only had 5 sessions as I really don't want long term therapy. (can't afford it and really don't want to dig up a lot of issues form my childhood)

It has been since beginning of January since I last saw him and now I'm back to feeling extremely low and moody. I know I'm still grieving and its all still so fresh. I don't want to go on anti depressants unless I have no choice. I'm thinking about trying St Johns Wort tablets to see if they help me cope with the low moment.

I have so many happy occasions to look forward to and I have a wonderful daughter and a brilliant supportive husband. I just feel like such a burden to them when I'm like this :(

Anyone have success with St Johns Wort ? If so in what form/dosage brand?

thanks in advance
I love a bargain and saving money! I don't have any debts and mortgage repaid in 2020

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your problems. Just wanted to mention that it is no good if you are on the contraceptive pill.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    5HTP is another option if you don't want to take anti-depressants. Just bear in mind that you can't take both together, - if you take anti-depressants you cannot take 5HTP, not sure about St Johns Wort.

Another thing to try might be CBT or self-help? There's a lot of good books in the "Overcoming.." series

Writing or expressing yourself creatively is also therapeutic.

Sorry I can't be more help re. the St Johns wort. I only know that it CAN cause photosensitivity in some people.
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm considering it myself atm.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take it with any other anti depressants, basically seek proper medical advice before taking it if you are on any other meds too.

Really sorry to hear about your mother.

Might I encourage you to let it all out on https://www.anxietyforum.net where the users are extremely supportive, the replies might not be as quick but its great to get it all out in a journal fashion and people will provide their input, its free counselling imo!
  • rothchick
    rothchick Posts: 159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I will check out the forum you mentioned.

I'm not on any meds at moment and not on the pill ether.
    I love a bargain and saving money! I don't have any debts and mortgage repaid in 2020
  • wannabeslim
    wannabeslim Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    I would second the recommendation of 5HTP over St Johns Wort, you may get some odd dreams initially but these soon subside, sorry you are having difficulties, good luck :)
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,870 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rothchick wrote: »

I don't want to go on anti depressants unless I have no choice. I'm thinking about trying St Johns Wort tablets to see if they help me cope with the low moment.

I have so many happy occasions to look forward to and I have a wonderful daughter and a brilliant supportive husband. I just feel like such a burden to them when I'm like this :(

Anyone have success with St Johns Wort ? If so in what form/dosage brand?

thanks in advance

As I understand it, StJ W is a naturally occurring SSRI. The advantage of a proper pharmaceutical SSRI is that some at least of the unwanted side effects StJ W can produce have been eliminated.

Seek proper medical advice.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SSRI medication has its own (VERY unpleasant) side-effects, including weight gain and suicidal thoughts.

Seek medical advice by all means, but don't diss alternatives to pharmaceutical intervention, where they exist and benefit the patient.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found it helpful a few years ago, I didn't have any side-effects. Sorry, can't remember the dose or make. Hope you find something that works.
  • beth.stephenson2009
    Options
    I really think your best going to see your GP- it sounds like you need some proper support, not just buying mood lifters from the supermarket which I take if i've had a bad week at week- never mind my mother committing suicide!
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Awhile ago 'problems' with work - I tried them, but it wasn't the capsules/tablet that (literally) put a smile on my face - the Tea Bags!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport