Decent frying pan

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
12 replies 1.7K views
jasper27jasper27 Forumite
274 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
Help....I've got an assortment of frying pans which were only cheap, one's a bit mishapen being used for camping/caravanning but I want to get rid of them all and just have one decent one.

Can anybody recommend a decent frying/saute pan please?

I need to be able to fry (onions, garlic etc for curries or eggs and omlettes etc) and also to make sauces (bolognese, curries etc)

Non-stick? Teflon? Ceramic? Ceramic coated? I'm confused :o

Thank yooooo :)

Replies

• force_tenforce_ten Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    what do you want to spend

good pans don't come cheap and one size really doesn't fit all, I would say buy two pans one chefs pan with a lid or a wok with a lid for your curries pasta sauces and the like and a smaller good quality fry pan for eggs and omelets

I like Meyer and tefal brands
  • jayIIjayII Forumite
    40.7K Posts
    I bought this one for £11 from Amazon after my teenagers repeatedly wrecked Tefal ones by overheating them. It's been great so far.

I also have a wok-style frying pan with a lid, for sauces and stir fries.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • jasper27jasper27 Forumite
    274 Posts
    force_ten wrote: »
    what do you want to spend

good pans don't come cheap and one size really doesn't fit all, I would say buy two pans one chefs pan with a lid or a wok with a lid for your curries pasta sauces and the like and a smaller good quality fry pan for eggs and omelets

I like Meyer and tefal brands

I don't have much to spend .. probably about £25 maximum.

I have a set of Meyer stainless steel pans which I got in the sale and they have been good pans, so a pan from their range is a possibility, but not a stainless steel frying pan :)
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jayII wrote: »
    I bought this one for £11 from Amazon after my teenagers repeatedly wrecked Tefal ones by overheating them. It's been great so far.

Not induction - !!!!!!!
  • dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not induction - !!!!!!!

where does it say in the original post that it has to work on induction ?
    274 Posts
    jayII wrote: »

I also have a wok-style frying pan with a lid, for sauces and stir fries.

This looks good! With 70 reviews all positive except one, I think these will do. I'm going to order the 24cm and 28cm!

Bonus, I have some Amazon vouchers too.. perfect!

Many thanks everyone :)
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dlusman wrote: »
    where does it say in the original post that it has to work on induction ?

Sorry, I meant for me!:o
  • jasper27 wrote: »
    Help....I've got an assortment of frying pans which were only cheap, one's a bit mishapen being used for camping/caravanning but I want to get rid of them all and just have one decent one.

Can anybody recommend a decent frying/saute pan please?

I need to be able to fry (onions, garlic etc for curries or eggs and omlettes etc) and also to make sauces (bolognese, curries etc)

Non-stick? Teflon? Ceramic? Ceramic coated? I'm confused :o

Thank yooooo :)

I bought this it says out of stock, but when I bought mine I emailed and it came in stock within a few days.

Edit - actually I see that pan comes in a few sizes. 28cm is a great size.

It's big enough to suit a family and apart from Ebay I couldn't find it any cheaper. Judge is a good make and it's a solid pan. Beautiful quality.

In answer to your questions, Teflon is a brand of non stick. Ceramic and ceramic coatings are another type of non stick. Ceramic don't always work well on induction (I know that's not what you want but someone else mentioned induction).
    274 Posts
    chancesare wrote: »
    I bought this it says out of stock, but when I bought mine I emailed and it came in stock within a few days.

Edit - actually I see that pan comes in a few sizes. 28cm is a great size.

It's big enough to suit a family and apart from Ebay I couldn't find it any cheaper. Judge is a good make and it's a solid pan. Beautiful quality.

In answer to your questions, Teflon is a brand of non stick. Ceramic and ceramic coatings are another type of non stick. Ceramic don't always work well on induction (I know that's not what you want but someone else mentioned induction).

Thanks... that does look a good pan but it's a little out of my price range, I've decided to get one from Amazon so I can use my vouchers and this one, 28cm is £42 on there :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Vista-28cm-Frypan-excalibur/dp/B00022BOUG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=07T6KWBT9BD8522MC74Z
  • A.Penny.SavedA.Penny.Saved Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Those are not decent frying pans! Some of them are utter junk. Non stick, do you enjoy consuming harmful teflon coatings? I would never use such a pan.

Mine I purchased Nov 2012.
    28cm version

These should last a lifetime if cared for and the natural seasoning, non stick coating is maintained. They do take a little work to season but once done they should require very little work or cleaning apart from gently scraping with a wooden spatula. The seasoning is what makes them naturally non stick and it is a healthy non stick coating rather than the usual harmful artificial non stick coatings.

Keep them oiled and they should be okay. I got a light plastic lid to put over it to keep dust out. It came from a plastic lidded bucket from a low price store.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals