Ombre hair colours

Options
I quite fancy doing a ombre/dip dye colour on my hair but was just wondering whether it was cheaper just to use a normal dye?
I generally have to use 2 boxes of colour on my hair anyway so if the amount in the ombre boxes is less then I may as well use a normal one and save a couple of quid :beer:
Any thoughts?
Or tips lol:rotfl:
:hello: Hiya, I'm single mom, avid moneysaver and freecycler, sometimes :huh: but definatly :D

Comments

• FizzWhizz
    FizzWhizz Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The reviews I have read of the ombre box dyes have all been pants! I suspect you would be better off using a regular box dye rather than one which is specifically marketed for an ombre effect. There is a technique you can use involving backcombing which will give you a more gradual lightening rather than a "harsh" line of demarcation, Google should help you there.

All that being said, I have always been a big chicken when it comes to lightening my own hair, I'll happily slap a darker box dye all over my own hair but when it comes to bleach, I'd rather let the experts take charge. My DD had the bottom half of her hair bleached at my old salon on Friday and it looks great and feels smashing, no split ends, dryness or signs of damage. Her hair is halfway down her back and for £40 I think it was money well spent, it's not like she's going to have to bother with having her roots touched up :p
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IME lightening hair is always safest left to the professionals! Roots and darkening is fairly safe but with lightening there is way too much risk.
  • Shelly_P
    Shelly_P Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    i honestly recommend using the bleach london ombre kit. i swear by them - i used to spend £100 every time i did my roots as doing it yourself was always such an orange risk. now i just use their bleach kits and have no issues whatsoever, and it only costs me a tenner each time! my friends who use their ombre kits have had similarly positive results so i'd give that a go!

on an n.b. i use to have ombre hair and did it with a cheap bleach packet. it was good but still a lil orange, and i found that if i applied foil to the dyed area and blow dryed the foil i had better results :)
  • Jobo88
    Jobo88 Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2015 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Hi! I think the ombre dye kits look quite good, however I think the poor review come in part from the fact that they don't give proper instructions on how to achieve the proper ombre 'fade' if you know what I mean.

I've ombred(?) my hair a couple of times in the past, and Tbh I've always just used a lightener, I found superdrug own is quite good. . I think it depends whether you have colour in your hair already, as I found that when I had dyed darknbrown hair, th e bleach kit lightened it to an ashy blonde, but when I had nattural hair, the bleach turned it quite orange. I would maybe do a strand test first if I were you, just to see how your hair takes the colour.

My technique when I've ombred in the past has been to paint the dye onto the ends of the hair with a brush (you can get a dye bowl and brush set from pound world!) wait five minutes, then paint a little bit further up, wait another five minutes, paint a little further up again and so on, until you reach the point where you want the fade to end. Leave it around five minutes after adding the last bit of colour, then rinse it all off. I've always done it that way and it leaves a nice graduated colour, not a dodgy looking uneven line, which is what you can end up with if you follow the instructions on the box kits!

If you do decide to use this method, adjust your wait times according to the results of your strand test.

Good luck if you do decide to go for it! I think I might do mine again, I'm getting bored with it at the moment!

Jobo xx
    I'm usually using a phone, so excuse my spelling please!
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    http://www.boots.com/en/Bleach-DIY-Dip-Dye-Kit_1401396/

I'm thinking about buying this. The reviews of it are quite good and it comes with a blending lotion that apparently eliminates the line.

I've got quite dark brown hair, though, so I'm not sure if it'd work.
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills