Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Best Bank Basic Current Accounts

in N. Ireland
3 replies 1.1K views
I am looking to change to a basic account with another bank, as danske bank is driving me mad, can't seem to get to grips withtheir available balance, and the actual balance, and it takes them 5 days to clear a cheque, also on basic account, you are not allowed a contact payment card....

Replies

• snowmensnowmen Forumite
    602 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pepper33 wrote: »
    I am looking to change to a basic account with another bank, as danske bank is driving me mad, can't seem to get to grips withtheir available balance, and the actual balance, and it takes them 5 days to clear a cheque, also on basic account, you are not allowed a contact payment card....

Try the non-Northern Irish banks/building societies like Nationwide, Santander or Halifax.
    As for clearing a cheque from another account, that's the length of time it can take! Far better to get people to transfer money online instead.
  • pepper33pepper33 Forumite
    507 Posts
    Some organisations still insist on paying by cheque. I pay everything I can online.
    Halifax charges are quite high, and it is £5 a day if you have anything bounced

thanks
  • edited 26 April 2015 at 8:03PM
    leskerrleskerr Forumite
    130 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 26 April 2015 at 8:03PM
    pepper33 wrote: »
    Some organisations still insist on paying by cheque. I pay everything I can online.
    Halifax charges are quite high, and it is £5 a day if you have anything bounced

thanks

The point is that banks are working to an industry agreed clearing schedule for cheques - I think it is 6 banking days after the account is credited that the funds become available for withdrawal. Therefore you are likely to have the same problem with any bank.

In my experience, it is rare for organisations to pay by cheque these days - have you asked if they can pay direct to bank account?

Regarding contactless cards, I don't see that as a big deal. You can still use your chip & pin card.

Les
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum