Weekly income allowance

Options
starlet97
starlet97 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 23 April 2015 at 1:00PM in Boost your income
Hi there, wondering if anyone can shed any light on my query please.

I have read about a weekly amount which the government have stated as a minimum amount to live on of £151 per week. I am 61 years of age, Is this correct and if so is this after housing costs or before.

I would be grateful for any help as my search on the internet does not come up with a definitive answer.

Many thanks

Comments

• starlet97
    Options
    Thank you for your post. Yes, that is possible. So that figure may be only for pension age.

Have done all the checkers for benefits and I don't qualify for any benefits even though I don't have that amount and have to pay everything.

Thank you again
  • Catwoman1975
    Options
    If you are single and unemployed JSA is £73.10 a week so that would be the amount you are expected to live off, plus on top you would get help with housing costs.

I imagine at 61 you are not old enough for pension credit just yet.
  • naturaljazz
    Options
    £151 a week is the Pension Guarantee Credit from April 2016. It applies to women born before 6 April 1953. Men different, You have to have made 35 years National Insurance payments. Between 10 years and 35 years NI made you get proportion of the £151 not all. Under 10 years NI contributions you aren't entitled to any of this scheme.
    Google - minimum income £151 week uk government - and see what comes up, I found it in a pdf, You say you dont qualify for any benefits, if you were signing on for JSA you may get money, as stated here previously JSA is less than £151 a week as it is meant for people seeking work, It is not pension, which is at the end of ones working life. I will get my pension at aged 66 for example. Until then I will work. Obviously depends on partner etc if you have one. Hope this helps.
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure