Winter Birthday Party Idea

Options
I am way ahead of myself, so much so that you are bound to think i'm crazy.

But,

My son will be 3 in December (10 days before Christmas in fact) and our house is tiny!
The last 2 years he has had Birthday parties in soft play centres which I have scrimped for throughout the year and had help from his grandparents to pay for.
I just don't want to do that this year.
But I do want to do some kind of party for him.

I wondered about meeting at our house and then everyone wrapping up warm and heading on a walk around the local woods (2 minutes away) perhaps a Gruffalo hunt or a Pirate treasure hunt (open to other ideas as well please!!) having a pit stop half way around with hot chocolate and Birthday cake, maybe a little game of pin the tail on the donkey type thing.
Surprises along the way, things to find or collect such as pine cones or gold coins (in plenty in December lol) and then walk back to the house to give out party bags.
I would do it at around 1.30pm -3pm and explain a meal wouldn't be provided only a snack.

Could I have opinions on this? We live in the south east so it's not exactly freezing if dressed properly.
Would you let your 2/3 year old attend/attend yourself?
Everything is always better after a cup of tea

Comments

• Sammy_J
    Sammy_J Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have any children so not best placed to give any 'real-life' opinion on the age of the children, but I just wanted to say how wonderful and fabulous as idea that sounds!! I can imagine it would be magical!
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 April 2015 at 11:24AM
    Options
    It all sounds fine, but the only thing I'd add is that I think at 2/3 years old, the parents should stay. I wouldn't want the responsibility myself of other peoples' toddlers.

One other thought is whether there's another toddler with a birthday around about the same sort of date? Combined parties at that age can work really well, if both sets of parents want the same sort of things - you work together and share the costs, organisation and, on your sort of idea, venues could be shared too - start at your house, go on the adventure, end up at the other family's house.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport