Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Memory Foam Mattress

in N. Ireland
9 replies 1.5K views
EclipserEclipser Forumite
171 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Looking to buy a new Memory Foam Mattress (Double)

Anyone recommend a good place to buy or avoid.

Thanks

Replies

• CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Forumite
    639 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Soundasleep in Ards have a big selection of all types.
  • GBNIGBNI Forumite
    575 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I second Sound Asleep, very helpful and a good range to suit most budgets. Although when I was in they advised against full memory foam mattresses now!
  • You sure you want to go Memory Foam.
    My mum has had 2 memory foam mattresses over the years but I convinced her to try a good pocket sprung mattress this time and she loves it, thinks it's way better then memory foam....
  • TickedTicked Forumite
    505 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    You sure you want to go Memory Foam.
    My mum has had 2 memory foam mattresses over the years but I convinced her to try a good pocket sprung mattress this time and she loves it, thinks it's way better then memory foam....

I'd have to agree with Mum. We have a memory foam mattress, OH loves it, I detest it. Much too hot and uncomfortable! It roasts whatever part of you is touching the mattress, while the uppermost parts are comfortable. However, it's horses for courses, my OH thinks it's great!
  • RikMRikM Forumite
    795 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    We've got a hybrid. A layer of memory foam on top of springs. Best of both worlds.
  • bonjovi99bonjovi99 Forumite
    120 Posts
    Most memory foam mattresses are basically a layer of memory foam on top of open coil springs (less expensive) or pocket springs (more expensive but better) there are different thicknesses of foam & there's also latex.
    Go & try them, take your coat of & lie down & take your time. Avoid the national stores (mostly imported mattresses) Balmoral, respa etc are made in Belfast / Ireland, better quality. Its all down to personal preference, too much memory foam = lots of heat!!! Try Direct furniture, discount beds or curio interiors all in Belfast.
  • BigcammyBigcammy Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sound Asleep for me too, but take your time and make sure it's what you really want. we've had ours for about 6 years now and love it, you really miss it when on holiday. It did take quite a bit of getting used to though, especially getting out of bed as there's no spring in it to push you up.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • martin57martin57 Forumite
    774 Posts
    Some shop assistants can be less than helpful, went into well known bedding shop once to buy a mattress for daughter, asked sales woman, how many springs were in it, she looked at me sarcastically and said "how many springs are in your mattress" thought I was trying to be funny or something, I was able to answer her, 1400 as it was a good mattress so I knew that the pocket spring amount really did matter.

Martin57
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    I'm another vote against the memory foam. Far too hot especially for middle aged women of a certain age :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals