Working self employed for Hermes

Options
I keep seeing adverts on TotalJobs for self employed Hermes couriers, and one position is in my area. Has anyone here ever done it? How much money do you make, after the expenses of running your car? Do they get loads of people applying, or is it fairly easy to get in?

Any experiences gratefully recieved.

Comments

• redvision95
    Options
    As a self employed motorcycle courier I can tell you a couple of things.

You will need to tell your vehicles insurer that you are using it for business and you will need to be insured for the appropriate mileage (expect to be doing 60k miles a year sometimes more if you stick with it). You will also need courier insurance aswell as goods in transit insurance. You cannot legally operate without these and I very highly doubt hermes will provide insurance for you. Your insurance will go through the roof and goods in transit etc isn't cheap for a new courier.

You don't make a lot of money, depending on what they are paying (varies from company to company and its usually by miles/deliveries achieved) youll be lucky to take home just above minimum wage before you even take into account oil change every 3-4 weeks, new tyres every 3 months aswell as anything else that goes wrong with your vehicle.

Don't think youll be able to just pootle around and its easy, its not. you will have to speed and generally drive like a loony to get everywhere quicker if you want to make any money, its not spoken about in head office but they expect you to be the fastest, the quicker you are the more money you make. Youll regularly see me doing 60mph in a 40mph limit and youll see me doing 100mph down a national speed limit road, overtaking everything that isn't a police car.

Youll probably be working 6 days a week too, remember if those wheels aren't turning your not earning. if possible Purchasing a small van such as a citroen berlingo or Vauxhall combo would be better than the family motor too, more parcels etc you can fit in the more youll make on one run. But wouldn't do that until you've been doing the job a few months.

im not saying making money doing courier work isn't doable because it is. But its stressfull, you will get parking tickets, you will get speeding tickets, you will get customers who will moan and have a go at you, you will have to go out in the rain and get soaked trying to make a delivery.

Being a courier is for some people but its not for most. Theres no harm in giving it a go to see if you like it, but don't expect to be making a mint from it. sorry to be so grim about it but ive seen so many people come into couriering expecting it to be the easiest/best job ever with the best pay ever and then leave after a few weeks. Its stressfull, its very hard work, It gets frustrating sometimes and its hard to make good money doing it.
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy. Every man is your teacher.
    Debt free - 20/02/2015
    started my own business 01/06/2015
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And if your leaving a parcel at the rear of a property ensure you close the gate when you're leaving. The muppet who delivered to me last week failed to close the gate resulting in my dog escaping, he was in a hurry so guess it didn't matter to him.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Comstock
    Comstock Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options

Being a courier is for some people but its not for most. Theres no harm in giving it a go to see if you like it, but don't expect to be making a mint from it. sorry to be so grim about it but ive seen so many people come into couriering expecting it to be the easiest/best job ever with the best pay ever and then leave after a few weeks. Its stressfull, its very hard work, It gets frustrating sometimes and its hard to make good money doing it.

Thank you for your very detailed post. :)

Some of this I knew, or guessed, already. According to the advert they claim standard insurance is sufficient, so I wondered if they topped this up for you.

I'm under no illusions I could get rich doing this, I was wondering if it is realistic to come out way- say- £200 a week after everything was paid for.
  • redvision95
    redvision95 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    Its not easy but its doable.

Youll have to ask that company if they do provide G.I.T insurance etc but most don't for self employed couriers. Either way your personal insurers MUST know about the use of the vehicle. Get pulled by PC plod whilst using it for courier work and you will most likely be seeing 6 points and a hefty fine + the possibility of having your car seized.

Im currently achieving £270 per week after everything is paid but I ride bikes I don't courier in a car, everything for a car will be 10X expensive, flatmate found that out when he took it up too.

Don't just work for one company either, if your serious about it, ring around and let everybody know your a courier, get your name out there. Youll get more work and earn more money, don't shy away from fast food delivery either when work is quite, as rubbish as it sounds, when things are quiet its a good way of keeping everybody paid and food in your belly.
    Debt free - 20/02/2015
  • Comstock
    Comstock Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, I realise the running costs for a car will be much higher. Actually I might try fast food as a way in. The insurance thing does worry me though. What is G.I.T insurance? Goods in transit? which companies offer this sort of cover?
  • redvision95
    redvision95 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, G.I.T is goods in transit.
    I used swinton to get goods in transit, they cover all of my vehicles both personal and work vehicles and have always been brilliant.
    You should be able to find more info on the business section of their website about that, I do believe the AA can arrange it for you too.

Fast food delivery is a good way of dipping your toes in but still costly + hard to make a living on though it is doable with the right companys (I just went around with a business card and introduced myself)

As I said, The insurers you are with for personal use will need to know that you are using the vehicle for courier/business purposes and will need to adjust your mileage accordingly. Goods in transit insurance will cover whatever it is you carry. IF you do decide to give it a go, give swinton a call and they will be happy to talk you through all of the insurance bits, they did with me and were/have been absolutely brilliant.
    Debt free - 20/02/2015
  • Elfbert
    Elfbert Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work next door to a Hermes depot. The people in charge don't always get there on time, meaning the drivers are all delayed. They chuck parcels around wildly when loading up - there's no space for them to load, so they park all over the place, make piles of parcels in the gutters and try to load in a sensible order for their round. All while smoking a huge amount of dope. I've never seen one of them smile.
    Mortgage - £[STRIKE]68,000 may 2014[/STRIKE] 45,680.
  • remember if you take a round on its your responsibility, if you break down you have to hire a vehicle if you want time off you have to get cover and you must get courier insurance not just the 3rd party top up they offer, your vehicle isn't insured if you don't inform your insurer you are delivering multi drop parcels, which is the highest risk driving so be prepared to pay upwards of £800 insurance
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its not easy but its doable.

Youll have to ask that company if they do provide G.I.T insurance etc but most don't for self employed couriers. Either way your personal insurers MUST know about the use of the vehicle. Get pulled by PC plod whilst using it for courier work and you will most likely be seeing 6 points and a hefty fine + the possibility of having your car seized.

Im currently achieving £270 per week after everything is paid but I ride bikes I don't courier in a car, everything for a car will be 10X expensive, flatmate found that out when he took it up too.

Don't just work for one company either, if your serious about it, ring around and let everybody know your a courier, get your name out there. Youll get more work and earn more money, don't shy away from fast food delivery either when work is quite, as rubbish as it sounds, when things are quiet its a good way of keeping everybody paid and food in your belly.

Just out of interest why do you do choose to be a courier for such rubbish pay and long hours?. I can understand if it's a temporary job until you find a good one but you seem to be doing it as a career?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure