I think my wedding venue is going to let me down!

Options
Hi All

I need some advice as i'm anticipating a big problem that may mean I will have to cancel my wedding reception.

So here goes... We are getting married in 3 weeks at a local church for our ceremony and a pub about 10 miles from it for our reception.

We have chosen to use this venue as we can have a marquee in the small field that in behind the pub.

We had origionally booked to use a different venue, but we then changed our minds because we wanted more people to attend the reception as we both have huge families, so we cancelled that venue and lots our deposit.

My finacee is a self employed chef who had been working for this pub and still is on a self employed basis. He arranged with the pub owners that we use the field at the back of their pub for our marquee which they were more than happy for us to do. When the marquee company viewed the field and measured up, they advised us and the owners that unless a big van and some green houses were removed from the small field, our marquee wouldn't fit in. But the owners were happy to move these items and so we left it at that.

We arranged this in January and at various time since then we have had to chase them asking when this stuff is getting moved. Last weekend my fiancee again we to see the owners to ask when this stuff was going to be moved as we are getting very nervous as we have paid out a lot of money and are due to pay more. But I really don't want to pay any more to the other vendors unless I am 100% sure that the reception is going to go ahead, which I am not! The owners advised that the stuff would definately be gone by this weekend, which as far as i'm aware it's not.

We have written contracts with all our other vendors but only a verbal one with this pub.

Please can you give me advise on where we stand if the owners don't hold up their side of the bargin and move the van and green houses and the marquee won't fit into the field and therefore we can't have our wedding reception there.

Sorry this is long. Thanks in advance! :easter_os

Comments

• cashewnut
    cashewnut Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have paid out money to the pub who won't move the items that need moving then do you have receipts? You may need this in the event you want to claim back anything through your insurance (assuming you have wedding insurance).

Sorry I can't be of more help - it sounds stressful :/
  • KCaughlin
    KCaughlin Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    No we don't have receipts and we haven't paid them any money because they intend to use the photos of the event on their website promoting that they can hold weddings in at the pub.

We don't have wedding insurance either.

I'm going to give citizens advice a call tomorrow and see where we stand, I may end up getting insurance.

Yes it is stressful!!! Thanks though :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KCaughlin wrote: »
    I may end up getting insurance.
    You might be too late for it to cover this.
  • KCaughlin
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking that as well. I'll just see what they say when I call tomorrow. Thanks
  • cashewnut
    cashewnut Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2015 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes :D

I hope the pub owners just need a kick up the backside and move the bits so the marquee can fit in.
  • KCaughlin
    Options
    I will thanks, we went and saw him earlier today, and the stuff was still there :(
  • hellokitty08
    hellokitty08 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If it was me I would be down there in my scruffs with gloves on, saying, right, where shall i start and be swinging my big hammer round, taking all the stuff down myself!

Perhaps a more proactive route would be helpful, saying you can do it, book a skip etc?
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure