Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

*** Labour Propose Tax on Competition Winners ***

One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
61.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
*** Labour Propose Tax on Competition Winners :eek:
In an unexpected move today (1st April), Labour will announce that if they win the upcoming election, they will introduce income tax on all competition wins worth £200 or more.

All entrants will need to give the competition promoter their National Insurance numbers and the promoter will pass this, and other details, on to HMRC when they choose a winner. If the prize is cash or vouchers, income tax will be deducted at 20% before the prize is given to the winner. Where the prize is goods or services, the winner will have 3 months to pay the assessed amount to HMRC.

A spokesperson said...
“The United Kingdom is the only major country where competition prizes are entirely tax free and we just want to bring the country into line with international norms. If someone is lucky enough to win £1000, then I am sure they will be happy to receive £800 and pay the rest towards [STRIKE]MPs expenses[/STRIKE] the NHS.”

We got in touch with a professional comper who hangs around on the comping section of a well known forum for skinflints who said...
“Get lost! It’s the first of the month and I’ve got hundreds of comps to post. I’m not voting for Labour and I’ve told all my mates to vote UKIP and they both said they will.”

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals