Backdated pension payment

w00519772
w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
I have a problem with my pension plan. I have discovered recently that I contribute 1% and my employer contributes 1%. In my Contract of Employment it states that I should contribute 3% and my employer 5%.

In August 2013 I received a new Contract of Employment because my department was outsourced and I was TUPE'd to the new company. We were advised that we must fill in a form in order to opt into the better pension scheme (5% contribution from employer). Failing to opt in meant we entered the default scheme paying contributions of just 1%.

I did fill in the form. I remember doing it. The reason I remember is because I moved house at the time and posted lots of letters including this form together (I even remember the post box).

However, Payroll said today that they did not receive the letter. I explained that I moved house around the time (October 2013) and also bought a new hard disk earlier this year, so I do not have an audit trail (I am usually very conscientious). I also showed them an email I sent to them about 12 months ago asking why contributions were so low where I asked if the company and I could increase our contributions. They said no i.e. the company would not increase contributions.

As a result of this they said don't worry about it; they will backdate the payments to August 2013 if I agreed to contribute the additional 2% for the months missed. I agreed. That was the end of it.

However, I received a call nine hours later saying they have changed their mind and they will not do this. I can only opt into the scheme going forward. I am very dissapointed about this.

I have two options:

1) Accept what they say and forget about the retrospective payments
2) Challenge their response. I believe I am right and the payments should be backdated. I work for one of the biggest companies in the world, so unsure were to take it next if I choose this option. The Pensions Adviser perhaps?

Am I being unreasonable with point 2? My question is similar to this one: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2176607

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    w00519772 wrote: »
    2) Challenge their response. I believe I am right and the payments should be backdated. I work for one of the biggest companies in the world, so unsure were to take it next if I choose this option. The Pensions Adviser perhaps?

You believe, as it was your intention to, however you are unable to prove it. There's no rights involved. Other than a further appeal to their good nature.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    For any important letter, take it to the post office and get "proof of posting". For really important, use recorded delivery.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport