Judging applicants by their name?

I am interested to know if anyone thinks that the name you have on your CV could positively or negatively impact on your chances of being hired?

After marriage my name changed from an English one to a quite obvious 'foreign' name. I sometimes wonder if it puts people off. I know someone who even went so far as to change his name as he believed he wouldn't succeed in business with his name! Not planning to do that but I have contemplated altering my CV...

I know its illegal to discriminate based on such things but I believe some people do - just like not wanting to hire a pregnant person or a wheelchair user. People do it but don't admit to it.

Comments

• I think it's human nature to judge people by their names/appearance/gender/age/religion/background etc whether people claim to or not.

I'd expect there to be more important things on a CV than the name of the applicant but it doesn't mean the name won't have an impact on how they read the rest of it.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • There's never been a known discrimination as they can always say 'we have found the right applicant' which broadens their answer and therefore can't receive a lawsuit on their hands.
    If it feels like the company is discriminating then you know the company isn't right for you.
    Check the company out on linkedin and see whom they have under their wings.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    There was large scale research done where equivalent cvs were sent to employers one with a white sounding name and one with a more foreign sounding name. Results were shocking. The applications where white sounding names were used were successful at securing an interview nearly twice as often. It was a massive study involving thousands of applications. I might consider using my maiden name on the cv if I were you.

They thought it was probably subconscious rather than deliberate racism.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Opinion
    Opinion Posts: 401 Forumite
    Yes. I do judge by name somewhat. English, 'British', whatever- yes.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    In a few years time there'll be loads of girls with names like Daysee Mae, Beyonce Tiger, K-Tee, Leesa etc who will be wondering the same thing.
    :hello:
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    At quite a few companies I have worked, when CVs come to me the name, gender and age if there have been removed from the CV.
    I was always told this was to avoid any unconscious bias at work.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2015 at 8:26AM
    I've never judged a candidate by their name.

I interview health students at the local university as well as staff for health and social care posts so we have candidates from all around the world and it can be fascinating and a privilege to find out the journey a person has taken to get to that point in their life.

Whilst there may be cultural/attitudinal differences (East Europeans tend more be more pragmatic, practical and hardworking) what's more important is a person's work/education history and their passion and commitment to the new role.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sure it does work both ways sometimes (but less often in favour of those with non-White/'British' names). You'd never be able to prove it though, so I prefer just to think that it's a lucky escape if you miss out on a job because of it and a loss for the company as they miss out on me :)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks everyone for your honest answers.
    It just made me question because I have applied for quite a few jobs that I am qualified for since changing my name but not been offered many interviews. It could just be the economic climate has changed since I changed my name but I can't help thinking...!
    Yes I read about an experiment with identical CV's but with different names. My husband has never struggled because he works for very diverse companies - they have to because they require staff who speak many languages. Me on the other hand - I seem to struggle. I have decided that yes I will alter my name n my applications and see what happens. I do feel its sort of wrong though!
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 April 2015 at 10:53PM
    Hi Fireflyaway, we have recently had a training at work, it was called
    "Unconcious Bias" and was very interesting to listen. It basically points out such things - people may do that albeit without realising.
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport