Advice for first time buyer

Okay so this is what ive worked out so far, any input i can get would be greatly appreciated.

Property Value - £144950

HTB Equity Loan 20% or £28,990

5% Deposit £7,247.50
5% Builder cash incentive £7,247.50

Mortgage required £101,465

The problem is the decision in principal was for £98,000 and the mortgage required is for £101,465 are we able to top this up with our own cash or would this simply reduce the 5% builder cash incentive were eligible for from bellway who are building the houses?

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think I answered this in your other thread an hour or so ago...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=68077205#post68077205
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • MNM2903
    MNM2903 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Yeah you gave me figures but you had mentioned we would need a deposit of around 10k. Please forgive my stupidity but I'm struggling to understand this as I've worked it out at a lot more. And I'm not sure how it would work with the builder cash incentive.

Are we as buyers putting down £7247.50 which is 5% allowed to fund that more to cover the £3465 as we can only get the mortgage for 98000 not the 101465 and if we did put that extra do the builder cash incentives still give 5%
  • kingstreet
    The HTB equity loan is based on the purchase price you agree with the builder (10% or 20%).

The builder cash incentive is based on the purchase price you agree with the lender (upto 5%).

These things are therefore set if/when the price is set.

What you can borrow from a lender is what the lender you have chosen is prepared to lend based on what you earn and your outgoings.

Your deposit is the amount you need to make up the difference of the above.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • MNM2903
    MNM2903 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Brilliant, thanks for your help mate, appreciate it. Its alot to take in. We have an advisor but hes coming back to us Thursday with figures about rates etc as he has an application approved for us.

Ill discuss it more with him ive just been trying to arm my self with knowledge so i dont come across like a complete idiot with my advisor haha
  • ftb2015
    ftb2015 Posts: 21 Forumite
    When we did htb with 5% deposit, we were told that lenders do not it when you have incentives from builders, therefore we couldn't take advantage of the builders offers. We were told that by the builders and also by 2 brokers. Couldn't quite get my head around why but that's how it worked out for us. We ended up with just £300 towards solicitors fees!

Hope you manage to get it, but don't rely on it just in case.
  • kingstreet
    ftb2015 wrote: »
    When we did htb with 5% deposit, we were told that lenders do not it when you have incentives from builders, therefore we couldn't take advantage of the builders offers. We were told that by the builders and also by 2 brokers. Couldn't quite get my head around why but that's how it worked out for us. We ended up with just £300 towards solicitors fees!

Hope you manage to get it, but don't rely on it just in case.
    From the OP's other thread;-

"One or two lenders will accept builder cash incentives upto 5%, most won't; so you won't have the run of all the HTB lenders if you go this route."
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    mullen8627 wrote: »

Property Value - £144950

HTB Equity Loan 20% or £28,990

5% Deposit £7,247.50
    5% Builder cash incentive £7,247.50 :eek:

Mortgage required £101,465
    I thought they got rid of gift deposits after the 2007 property crash. They are just a corrupt tool used by big builders to inflate house prices.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport