Personal Training

Options

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I was going to suggest looking at a boot camp too - most of them cater for different levels of fitness, you get to exercise with others and encourage each other - plus if there are fitter people there than you, you can use them as a 'challenge', aim for 1/2 the speed they currently do, as many reps as them for something, to keep up / beat them in a run etc - any little thing that helps motivate you.

With boot camp I also find that although you don't get the 1 to 1 of a PT, the instructors do monitor you more than perhaps a gym class (depending on the class of course) and help you track your progress. Many boot camps will assess / ask your goals when you sign up and a number of the instructors are PTs as well so you might get a discount there.

I've done a boot camp for nearly 3 years, started it to gain strength for another sport I do. Although in the winter its tough going out in the cold (I do mine at 6.30am some winters mean cold, dark mornings) once you're there and have done it, its a great feeling. I know I've committed to going so will be letting myself and others down if I don't attend. Have never gone down the gym membership route as for me it would be a great big Annie (as in 'tomorrow tomorrow there's always tomorrow).
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    £40/hour sounds pretty cheap, as these things go. All the PTs I know charge £60-£90 an hour and are still fully booked. I only get to train with them because they also take boot camp classes, but that way there's no diet plan or individual goals set or anything like that. That said, they're all great at knowing exactly how hard they can push you once they get to know you.

Any chance you could get a small group of people who've got similar fitness levels and goals together and hire a PT between you?

I second the comment about weight loss being at least 80% diet, but that's not to say you shouldn't bother. Exercise has its own benefits, one of which, imo, is motivation to look after your body better.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Lizling wrote: »
    I second the comment about weight loss being at least 80% diet, but that's not to say you shouldn't bother. Exercise has its own benefits, one of which, imo, is motivation to look after your body better.

I always wonder about that 80 / 20 thing. Obviously both diet and exercise have an effect on weight (I exercise 3 - 6 times a week and eat more than I did when I did 1 class per week because I need to) but how much of that 'weight loss % calculation' takes into account the fact that while exercising you are also building muscle, which weighs more than fat. I have lost inches round my waist, but weight nearly a stone more than before I upped my exercise.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm outer London and pay 45/hour whenever I feel like a session. If bulk booking for use within say three months she reduces the hourly rate. They may do similar.
    I would suggest though that you may wish to consider the fact that at some point you'll have to learn to self motivate without relying on some one else to make you.
    What is putting you off from working on your own in the gym instead of P.T or classes?
    Ps popping yourself on a cardio machine and watching calories being burnt can be quite motivating :-)
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    It depends where you are, Im in the west of scotland, I can't think of anyone here who would charge 90 quid an hour, but clearly in other areas people will pay it.

Tbh, I dont pay much attention to the 80/20 rule, exercise has always been massively important to me changing shape and losing weight, I do eat clean, Id apply the 80/20 more to eating healthily 80 per cent of the time and having a treat the other 20 per cent.

Body fat percentage and my measurements are more important to me personally than the scales, plus how my clothes fit.

Sometimes people need a push, I PT someone just now who used to be very fit but hasnt exercised in years, but if he was left to his own devices he probably wouldn't go to a class. Some folks are self conscious and want to exercise one to one with someone, I totally get that.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Could you afford say 6 sessions with a PT to get you started (mine also did a bulk rate on 6 sessions - buy 5 get 1 free), with a view of either changing to boot camp/HIIT or classes afterwards. A good PT should be able to help you identify the right strategies for you and might also be able to give you tips on how/when to book classes. At my gym the popular classes book up in an hour so you need to know exactly what time they're released and put it in your diary. Something else I tried was once a month with a PT, exercising in between myself. I felt a need to keep up the training or the PT would notice lol. One way or another, getting started is key. You're kind of overthinking at the minute. So whatever you do, just pick something now and sign up before easter - even if it's to do after Easter. Otherwise you'll still be sitting spinning your wheels in May if you're anything like me!
  • 1stBusiness
    Options
    It depends where you are, Im in the west of scotland, I can't think of anyone here who would charge 90 quid an hour, but clearly in other areas people will pay it.

Tbh, I dont pay much attention to the 80/20 rule, exercise has always been massively important to me changing shape and losing weight, I do eat clean, Id apply the 80/20 more to eating healthily 80 per cent of the time and having a treat the other 20 per cent.

Body fat percentage and my measurements are more important to me personally than the scales, plus how my clothes fit.

Sometimes people need a push, I PT someone just now who used to be very fit but hasnt exercised in years, but if he was left to his own devices he probably wouldn't go to a class. Some folks are self conscious and want to exercise one to one with someone, I totally get that.

Exactly! I need a big push in the right direction to get going! I would like to lose some weight as I've put on quite a bit, but my main goal is to gain muscle and look toned/change my bod y shape.
    Could you afford say 6 sessions with a PT to get you started (mine also did a bulk rate on 6 sessions - buy 5 get 1 free), with a view of either changing to boot camp/HIIT or classes afterwards. A good PT should be able to help you identify the right strategies for you and might also be able to give you tips on how/when to book classes. At my gym the popular classes book up in an hour so you need to know exactly what time they're released and put it in your diary. Something else I tried was once a month with a PT, exercising in between myself. I felt a need to keep up the training or the PT would notice lol. One way or another, getting started is key. You're kind of overthinking at the minute. So whatever you do, just pick something now and sign up before easter - even if it's to do after Easter. Otherwise you'll still be sitting spinning your wheels in May if you're anything like me!

I've just signed up for 2 trial/assessment sessions with my local gym for £40 (half price) and I'm going to take it from there!

Thanks for all your help! :j
    December 2015: 12st
    Goal Weight: 9st 7lbs
    Lost so far:2 lbs
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and I used him once a week and just trained myself inbetween those sessions. However I'm reducing it to 2-3 times a month as money is getting a bit tight and today I'm going to have to put the 5 session on my credit card!

Good luck with your trial sessions. As long as you're dedicated to change your attitude towards diet and exercise then the money shouldn't go to waste. If you don't change your diet then there's not much point in having a PT except to increase fitness. I also have a very high percentage of body fat (48%). When I first started it was over 50%. I wasn't as dedicated at the beginning and lost a bit of money cause I was unmotivated. But now I'm more motivated and my progress is increasing (hopefully that will show today when I get weighed)

I am also keeping a track of my measurements- hip, waist, under and over bust as well as my thighs and upper arms. That's where I've seen the most improvement.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 April 2015 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Well, the cheapest way would be to book 1 or maybe 2 sessions and sit down with them and ask them how to lose one stone. This could be more beneficial than loads of sessions that most people do (in terms of saving money and actual results). You see people will end up training hard, but not actually understand why they are doing what they are doing.

When the trainer has educated you about exercises, nutrition and some basic physiology you can go on your way and get on with it.

You know what, you dont even need to see a personal trainer, there are plenty of good articles on the web. You just need to be pointed in the right direction as there is a lot of rubbish posted.

I am no personal trainer, but I could tell somebody all they need to know about weight loss in about 30minutes. Wether or not you are determined enough to train and disciplined to eat well is another issue entirely.

This issue links with the old adage of the 'new years club' you get in each gym, and why they never return after a few weeks. They have all the gear, an induction and motivation. But nobody actually tells them what they need to do to reach their goals. Thats the main reason they end up leaving, because they dont have the knowledge to change their body so give up after not seeing the desired results.
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    Im a PT and I posted above. Some people dont have the discipline to train on their own. There may be good articles on the web, but if everyone read them, no one would ever need a PT or the help of a gym instructor.

The person who trains me, tells me what I need to do to reach my goals and I listen. Not every gym instructor just inducts people and leaves them to get on with it, I know many people who work in gyms who are excellent at what they do, you need to meet people halfway.

Also, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. If people train, they should be doing it safely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure