Leaving my job in August, how do I not overpay tax?

Options
jnam27
jnam27 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 31 March 2015 at 12:12AM in Cutting tax
Hi, question about overpaying tax.

I'm leaving my job in August. In fact, I'm also leaving the country so for 2015/2016, I will only earn from April to August. I took a look at last year's payslips and I was taxed every month at the 14% rate on gross (which is 20% of taxable if there are 12 months of similar earning).

I would like to earn my 10,600 tax free this tax year. If I pay 14% each month but only earn for 5 months, then I actually haven't had enough earning months to accrue the tax free income (I will have accrued just 40% of the allowable tax free income).

Is there something I can do prospectively or is this only a retrospective action? Your experiences would be very helpful. Cheers,

Comments

• purdyoaten
    purdyoaten Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2015 at 7:43AM
    Options
    jnam27 wrote: »
    Hi, question about overpaying tax.

I'm leaving my job in August. In fact, I'm also leaving the country so for 2015/2016, I will only earn from April to August. I took a look at last year's payslips and I was taxed every month at the 14% rate on gross (which is 20% of taxable if there are 12 months of similar earning).

I would like to earn my 10,600 tax free this tax year. If I pay 14% each month but only earn for 5 months, then I actually haven't had enough earning months to accrue the tax free income (I will have accrued just 40% of the allowable tax free income).

Is there something I can do prospectively or is this only a retrospective action? Your experiences would be very helpful. Cheers,

Your percentage calculations are not really that relevant - someone who earns £11000 per annum will pay 0.72% of his gross in tax while a £20000 salary will pay 9.4% in tax. The personal allowance is what is important.

You need to complete the attached form. As a result you would be correct in saying that your 10600 personal allowance will be applied to the income from April to August inclusive. Assuming that you are a basic rate taxpayer you should be entitled to a refund of approximately £1236 (10600 x 7/12 @20%). This assumes, of course, that you have paid this much in tax.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85
    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not. :doh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure