Need ideas for a (cheap!) 70th Birthday gift, ASAP!!

I completely forgot it is my dad's 70th Birthday on Friday. I did know it was his birthday and was planning on a card and something else but only just realised it's a 70th birthday and it will be a big deal to him.

I'm flat out broke and will be until the 1st April. I had put aside £10 before realising it's the big 7-0.

I was thinking wine but have no idea what types are worth buying- he likes reds but has a taste for the £30 bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape (out of my budget)

Can anyone help with any suggestions? Wine suggestions or any suggestions at all? What makes a good 70th gift!

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Can you give him a card in with a message inviting him on a day out somewhere? My mum is elderly and has everything she needs, but loves a day out with myself and my sister. We choose places that she hasn't been, and include lunch. Time can be more important than a gift.

We've taken my mum to various stately homes, Holmfirth (where Last of the Summer Wine' was filmed), and an old mill before now, as we knew they are the types of places that she likes. About three years ago, we took her to York for the day and managed to attend a service in York Minster. This was a highlight for her - she had been to York before and wanted to see the Minster. She was delighted to attend the service there, as well as having the chance to look around.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do you have lots of photos of your family? How about buying a cheap frame and making a collage of photos of you and your dad or family?

I did one for my grand father and it is now on show in pride of place.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you give him a card in with a message inviting him on a day out somewhere? My mum is elderly and has everything she needs, but loves a day out with myself and my sister. We choose places that she hasn't been, and include lunch. Time can be more important than a gift.

We've taken my mum to various stately homes, Holmfirth (where Last of the Summer Wine' was filmed), and an old mill before now, as we knew they are the types of places that she likes. About three years ago, we took her to York for the day and managed to attend a service in York Minster. This was a highlight for her - she had been to York before and wanted to see the Minster. She was delighted to attend the service there, as well as having the chance to look around.

Thanks- this is a nice idea! Not sure if I can afford much but I think I could earmark enough for a coffee out and then suggest a day-trip somewhere historical (he would like that sort of thing) and the coffee being the point of destination. That way I could put more towards it when I am able to after next week :)

sarah1972 wrote: »
    Do you have lots of photos of your family? How about buying a cheap frame and making a collage of photos of you and your dad or family?

I did one for my grand father and it is now on show in pride of place.

Sadly I don't have loads of photos- my dad and I don't get on that well and he has issues over ownership over anything that is left at "his" house. I left and suddenly all my old school books became "his". Add etc to all my sisters school books (despite her needing them to study her exams with) and also the photos. He doesn't look at them, he just owns them. There would be more chance of getting back my old school books which I know he's since thrown away before I even so much as glimpse at any old photos!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the ideas- I've made a decision! I opted for last minute tickets to a concert and managed to get a really good deal :) I'm going to offer a coffee at the interval (he'll want to drive). Feeling quite pleased with my MSE style gift! I had already been panicking about my lack of money before I realised the date!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure