PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Plant containers o my decking

Options
I just got some lovely containers and planted standard roses in them. I want to put them on my wooden decking. My husband says the decking will rot underneath the pots.

Does anyone have any idea of a cheap way to make some legs, ones which only touch the decking in a small way ie a point?
Keep on trucking!

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I have had containers on my decking for nearly 15 years, some of the pots are on huge plant saucers and some straight on the decking and there is NO damage underneath them. if your OH is worried you can buy ceramic 'feet' to put under the pot to allow ventilation, but, honestly I wouldn't bother.
  • Cacran
    Cacran Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you for that. I will try to get him to believe it.LOL!
    Keep on trucking!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally, I would go down the big saucer route or those little feet you can buy at Wilko's.

If you leave pots there for a while, they may take a long time to rot the timber but they will 'mark' the timeber making it so that you cant move your pots to different places because all these nasty 'marks' are noticeable.

These 'feet ' cost just few pence.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dogcat_2
    dogcat_2 Posts: 21,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the pound shop/99p shop they sometimes sell round pot holders on wheels....I've got a couple ....makes moving easier and keeps the pots off the decking.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Personally, I would go down the big saucer route or those little feet you can buy at Wilko's.

If you leave pots there for a while, they may take a long time to rot the timber but they will 'mark' the timeber making it so that you cant move your pots to different places because all these nasty 'marks' are noticeable.

These 'feet ' cost just few pence.

Very true McKneff - you can 'see' where the pots have been - but I don't move them around much. so that hasn't been a problem.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I use coffee jar tops underneath, 3 is usually enough. Raises them enough for drainage and allows air circulation. Have a look around your home, I'm sure you'll find something that's suitable, free and recyclable ;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The big rubber bungs for demijohns (I'd recommend 3 as a minimum, but more if you're so minded) offer a lot of lift for a small outlay & are fairly rodent resistant.
    Indeed, it's interesting to see who notices & recognises them...
  • Cacran
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I use coffee jar tops underneath, 3 is usually enough. Raises them enough for drainage and allows air circulation. Have a look around your home, I'm sure you'll find something that's suitable, free and recyclable ;)

Sounds like a good idea. I will have to save some.:T
    Keep on trucking!
  • Cacran
    Options
    The big rubber bungs for demijohns (I'd recommend 3 as a minimum, but more if you're so minded) offer a lot of lift for a small outlay & are fairly rodent resistant.
    Indeed, it's interesting to see who notices & recognises them...

I like this idea too:T
    Keep on trucking!
  • Cacran
    Options
    dogcat wrote: »
    In the pound shop/99p shop they sometimes sell round pot holders on wheels....I've got a couple ....makes moving easier and keeps the pots off the decking.

Will have to look out for these, if all else fails.:)
    Keep on trucking!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport