Smart-Pig student ad is thankfully deemed 'irresponsible' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.


  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    So, the ASA will publish its findings report on a complaint, but the FCA won't, unless it takes a certain type of action?

    Does this mean the FCA is an Old Pals Network like the BPA and IAS in the private parking world?
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2015 at 8:09AM
    Has MSE been required to become a registered credit broker? It traded for years without including APRs in its information about credit offers and it was being paid as it included affiliate links. Did the regulator tell it that it had to be licensed because it started including APRs a few years back, which it would do if it was starting to comply with credit advertising regulations. A search on Internet archives would reveal the date when it started including APRs.

    Martin Lewis says he dislikes action being taken in private so could he say now if he has at any time been ordered to take out a credit license, or have any of the businesses he works for?

    The FCA's register of credit brokers includes Norleynerd which is a name change from Using a trading name of Norleynerd which is not a name I have ever seen in credit adverts makes it difficult to link moneysavingexpert to historical information about its regulation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards