Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

What makes up a good system?

Hi all,

After my bad quote the other day, I have been getting well into solar PV now and doing loads of research, however there seems to be a lot off different mix and match systems out there so was wondering what makes up a good system.
ie.
Who's are the best panels or which to avoid
Which inverter is better or again to avoid
What other gadgets to monitor the system, total output or individual panel output etc.
I know the information is probably in this thread somewhere, but a lot of stuff is older than a few years and things seem to have moved on extremely quickly.
Cheers
Martin
Martin (With an I)

4.00 kWp System, 15° East of South, 35° Pitch, 16 (250w) x 8.33 Eternity Panels, Solaredge Optimisers and SE4000(16A) inverter, iBoost. Just North of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.

Replies

• ed110220ed110220 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ely_ellis wrote: »
    Hi all,

After my bad quote the other day, I have been getting well into solar PV now and doing loads of research, however there seems to be a lot off different mix and match systems out there so was wondering what makes up a good system.
    ie.
    Who's are the best panels or which to avoid
    Which inverter is better or again to avoid
    What other gadgets to monitor the system, total output or individual panel output etc.
    I know the information is probably in this thread somewhere, but a lot of stuff is older than a few years and things seem to have moved on extremely quickly.
    Cheers
    Martin

I don't think there are really any panels to avoid. With the 'better' panels you're normally paying for a recognised name, such as LG, and/or higher efficiency which simply means you can squeeze more generation out of a limited space say get 4kWp out of 14, 13 or 12 panels rather than 16.

Mostly though people tend to aim for the cheapest per Watt, as generally that will give the best return.

If you've got space for 16 'normal' sized panels there are dozens to choose from, 14 a fair few and 12 only three so probably that would be a good starting point to work from.

Ed
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I can't give any recommendations for specific panels or inverters other than ours have been fantastic. Sunnyboy inverter and Sungrid panels.

One thing I would say for inverters is to use a brand that has some knowledge and reputation. If in 10 years time it needs a repair or service it will be much easier for parts and info if it is one that has thousands of installations rather than a cheap Chinese one that was installed in a few homes.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals