We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A New Quote (What do you think?)

Options
13»

Comments

• ely_ellis
    ely_ellis Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2015 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Had reply about the kit....
    10 x LG Mono X 280W panels
    10 x Enphase M250 micro-inverters
    Envoy Gateway.

Found a company on Ebay, same system but with SunEdison 285W panels, fully installed just under £6,000 but this isn't even a trade price!
    Must be the 2 mugs that add the extra price!

Update:
    Managed to get a price on exact complete system for £3156.18, this is a trade price so has to add VAT onto it. Not sure how VAT is applied on the system, if it is 5% for the whole system or just the panels and then 20% on the other bits, but either way that means they are looking at over £3000 to install the system. Is this the going rate?

Cheers
    Martin
    Martin (With an I)

4.00 kWp System, 15° East of South, 35° Pitch, 16 (250w) x 8.33 Eternity Panels, Solaredge Optimisers and SE4000(16A) inverter, iBoost. Just North of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
  • pw22
    pw22 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is that just for the panels and inverter? If so you probably need to add about £500 for rail, hooks, cables etc. The other main cost would be scaffold if needed.
  • ely_ellis
    ely_ellis Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2015 at 9:17PM
    Options
    No, that is for the complete equipment from a UK supplier at trade price for installers. The quote even lists things like hooks, rails switches, meters and even labels!
    So, how much would installation costs be including scaffolding?
    Martin (With an I)

4.00 kWp System, 15° East of South, 35° Pitch, 16 (250w) x 8.33 Eternity Panels, Solaredge Optimisers and SE4000(16A) inverter, iBoost. Just North of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be honest, I'd just tell the other company to go do one.
    Do not let them waste your time anymore, they are just throwing FUD into the mix.

You are smarter than that, move on.

Have a look at some of the companies on flea bay, shortlist the ones you like the look of and contact them to finesse your quote.

Then come back here, post responses, receive praise/jealous comments for getting great prices!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, to answer your question, generally if you add 1 to 1.5k to your parts price should cover your install with scaffold.
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you get the roof measured up first?

It's quite clear the original quoter was talking from where the sun doesn't shine but:-

Just to satisfy your itch
    10 x LG's Just over £1500
    1 x Samil dual MPPT inverter £500(no need for micros)
    Rest of gubbins(rail, switches, cabling etc etc) £500
    £2500 total...all of which are RETAIL prices not TRADE.

Prices are from a well known online retail site which can be found here
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pw22 wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

A couple of things ring alarm bells to me -

1. How can they demonstrate that the system is 20% more efficient - yes LG panels and Enphase are reputable brands within the solar market but I think they would have trouble demonstrating that this system performs 20% better than others.
    2. I think this has been mentioned previously - micro inverters are excellent if you have shading issues but a dual tracking inverter can cope as well over 2 aspects.
    3. That is a big discount and I think they are breaking RECC guidelines by discounting that much. I think the mention about how they need 3 installs in an area is a pressure tactic to make you sign up quickly.
    4. I think the price is still too high for 10 panels

Hope this helps.

I think they are exploiting the different meanings of the word 'efficiency' to try and pull the wool over your eyes. People use the term very loosely often just to imply something is good or bad. Technically they could be correct in that their panels may be 20% more efficient than others. LG make panels of between 280 and 305W, while most other panels are around 250W. Simple arithmetic shows that 305 is more than 20% greater than 250.

That's all efficiency means in terms of PV - getting more wattage out of the same area, which is important to you as you have a rather restricted roof space. What is important is the total wattage of the system. One firm's 3kW system on your roof will produce the same output for practical purposes as any other 3kW system if they are both well designed.

Lastly I'd say their overpriced panels aren't anything particularly special. I was quoted £5995 for twelve BenQ 330W panels. Ten of those on your roof, if that is all that will fit, would squeeze out the most electricity generation possible at the moment.

Ed
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport