PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping HM chips?

Options
We're planning on having veggie burger wraps and HM chips for dinner tomorrow. Can I cut the chips tonight? If so, do I need to blanche them now and shake in a bag with oil, or should I leave them in cold water on the hob?

I might be home late and I don't want to overload OH, the poor dear... ;)

Comments

• honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just cover them in salted water and they will be fine.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    or even plain water. just dry them well before frying. or you could part fry them until soft but not coloured, freeze them and cook from frozen.
    I like the second option - they take about 5 -6 minutes and make lovely crisp chips.
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    Peel potatoes, cut into chip shapes and bung in water. Is that really overloading your poor husband? Wow.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    or even plain water. just dry them well before frying. or you could part fry them until soft but not coloured, freeze them and cook from frozen.
    I like the second option - they take about 5 -6 minutes and make lovely crisp chips.

This really is the best option for time-saving, and meritaten is right; they make the best chips.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »

Salt (or lemon juice) just keeps the water fresher for longer.

I would do the part frying too. :)
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2015 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Peel potatoes, cut into chip shapes and bung in water. Is that really overloading your poor husband? Wow.

He won't be in until 11pm tonight, then has to get up at 6, work, pick up DD from Judo at 5.30 who will be hungry...so I thought I might be nice seeing as I've been sat on my bum all evening even though tomorrow is technically "his night", food wise :o

ETA: Thanks all! Have chopped and put in salted water. Will see if I can be bothered to pre-fry after half an hour on the exercise bike!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure