Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Dehumidifer

I am hearing more and more that water is the worlds most precious resource and that there will be water shortages in the future. But one only needs to consider the advancement in dehumidifier technology. The latest generation in 2014 are very efficient at pulling pure water out of the air. The technology will likely progress even more efficiently. They can be made very cheaply while silver is priced so low. Yes the new generation do use more silver than the older generations but they are much more efficient and can easily run off a small solar panel or even a wind up or wind turbine. Each unit can provide enough drinking water for a small family every day. So the water shortages in the future will turn into silver shortages as countries need to buy millions of these machines to create pure water out of the air.
HTB = Help to Bubble.

Replies

• edited 18 March 2015 at 9:23PM
    zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 March 2015 at 9:23PM
    I am hearing more and more that water is the worlds most precious resource and that there will be water shortages in the future. But one only needs to consider the advancement in dehumidifier technology. The latest generation in 2014 are very efficient at pulling pure water out of the air. The technology will likely progress even more efficiently. They can be made very cheaply while silver is priced so low. Yes the new generation do use more silver than the older generations but they are much more efficient and can easily run off a small solar panel or even a wind up or wind turbine. Each unit can provide enough drinking water for a small family every day. So the water shortages in the future will turn into silver shortages as countries need to buy millions of these machines to create pure water out of the air.
    Hi

I thought that the UK, as a group of islands, is totally surrounded by water and that that you could sail a boat from here to almost anywhere else on the planet with a coastline by simply displacing a volume of water which has the same mass as the vessel, which suggests that there's plenty of the stuff still around ....

Now considering that the oceans contain somewhere around 1.3billion cubic kilometres of water of which somewhere around half-a-million km3 evaporate and precipitate each year and that a decent domestic unit would be capable of extracting around 10litres of water/day, so 3650 litres/year, that's about the equivalent of the annual rainfall on 4square metres of land in the UK, so I doubt that a dehumidifier is really all that necessary where we live ....

Regarding dehumidifiers .... effectively they're refrigerators with a fan blowing warmed humid air over a cooled surface causing moisture to condense, run off and be collected. I'm not aware of a specific need to use silver in their construction either - are you sure that you're not confusing the silver used to solder the cells when constructing a pv panel confused with dehumidifiers when looking at a total solution ? ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • ed110220ed110220 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

I thought that the UK, as a group of islands, is totally surrounded by water and that that you could sail a boat from here to almost anywhere else on the planet with a coastline by simply displacing a volume of water which has the same mass as the vessel, which suggests that there's plenty of the stuff still around ....

Now considering that the oceans contain somewhere around 1.3billion cubic kilometres of water of which somewhere around half-a-million km3 evaporate and precipitate each year and that a decent domestic unit would be capable of extracting around 10litres of water/day, so 3650 litres/year, that's about the equivalent of the annual rainfall on 4square metres of land in the UK, so I doubt that a dehumidifier is really all that necessary where we live ....

Regarding dehumidifiers .... effectively they're refrigerators with a fan blowing warmed humid air over a cooled surface causing moisture to condense, run off and be collected. I'm not aware of a specific need to use silver in their construction either - are you sure that you're not confusing the silver used to solder the cells when constructing a pv panel confused with dehumidifiers when looking at a total solution ? ...

HTH
    Z

In UK conditions I think the water yield of a dehumidifier is a lot lower. I borrowed one and was disappointed when it only extracted about 300ml/day. I read the label more carefully and it specified 9 litres/day but at 30C and something like 90% relative humidity! So more like Singapore. If you were somewhere that humid, I doubt water scarcity would be a problem!

Ed
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum