PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning a granite headstone

Options
Figured you guys could help with this please!

I need to give mum's grey granite headstone a clean. Water is not shifting the tree sap. What do you lovely OSers recommend please?
Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Is it shiny granite? I wash my dad's just using fairy liquid - although its not under any trees. I've read that oily substances such as WD-40 or mayo will remove tree sap but I wouldn't recommend this on a matte stone and would try and little bit on an inconspicuous area first.

Alternatively as a thought - and again for a shiny finish headstone - how about granite worktop cleaner?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wash my sisters with Fairy, and it comes up gleaming, we have a lot of trees by her aswell, always works for us. Have you tired putting it in a spray bottle and letting it soak in for a while before cleaning off.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just bought headstone cleaner for the first time a couple of days ago! I've never seen it before, so I snapped it up (there was only one bottle)
    It worked well, but there was a strong smell of ammonnia and bleach and I found that it irritated my hands, so I will use gloves the next time.
    It's HG headstone cleaning spray, natural stone. hth
    Linda x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family