Do I have to give credit card details on XBox 360?

Options
Hi,

I am new to Xbox 360 (previously been a Wii user). Just trying to play games from disc with my son for the first time but it says that I need to set up a Microsoft Live account, complete with adding my credit card details. This makes me VERY nervous!

Does anyone know:
- do I have to have an account just to play games from discs?
- why do I have to add credit card details?
- is it secure to do so?
- is there an alternative?

Many thanks everyone.

Rroger_D

Comments

• StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    Alternative is to use top up cards to open the account, or alternatively you can set billing to use Paypal details..

granted systems may always be hacked (cue psn a few years ago), but the biggest risk from putting the details tends to be:

1- Renewals at a higher price - eg 12 months is 39 on xbox I think, but can be bought on cdkeys website for about 25 (give or take)..

2- in game purchases made my kids that use your console - an access code can be used to authorise your purchases and require the card security code etc..

Ive been on xbox live since the very first xbox console, have had my details on there and have never had any problems at all - just ensure you set up the security details..
    any details added can be removed later using the Microsoft billing website, and is often to confirm that an adult has setup the account (i.e. age appropriate content on games)..

there is gold level of accounts (online multiplayer & extra content), although silver accounts can be setup which are free..
  • Rroger_D
    Rroger_D Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks StuC,

Do you know if I HAVE to have a live account IE if I don't intend purchasing games online? What is the live account used for other than this? Would I be charged for communicating with friends within games for example?

Sorry if all of this sounds dumb, but I totally new to all of this. :undecided

Thanks.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2015 at 7:27PM
    Options
    You do need a "live" account, but it's important to understand the difference between the two levels of account - there is a free account enabling you to play games & a paid account enabling online multiplayer.

As soon as you set up an Xbox gamertag you already have a live account on the free level - that's a "silver" account & allows you to play games & download certain things. The second account is a "gold" account, now to get that you pay a subscription, but you 100% DO NOT HAVE TO USE A CREDIT CARD AT ANY POINT IN THE PROCESS OF ACQUIRING XBOX LIVE GOLD. There are prepaid top up cards available at all reputable games retailers both offline & online, I know there are many who advocate online special offers, I personally don't as I prefer to be 100% confident.

There are different varieties of top up cards, ones for upgrading to gold, ones for adding funds to your Xbox account & ones which will give you specific games/downloads. General rule of thumb, GREEN cards top up your gold account (available in 3 & 12 months), WHITE cards top up your account (available mostly in round figures) - these are the most common varieties. Be aware of the specific content cards, they'll have "odd" amounts - think stuff like £12.99 - and will ONLY give you the item specified, they are becoming more popular. (The other way to spot these is that they'll generally have a game style picture on them as opposed to plain "tesco value" style branding)

To let you see them here's a link to Game's selection of credit & live top up cards online.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/xbox-live/xbox-live-credits/?merchname=topnav-_-X360-_-credit

http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/xbox-live/xbox-live-gold/?merchname=topnav-_-X360-_-membership

If you need any other questions answered feel free to give me a shout, I'll happily help out, there are no such things as dumb questions so long as you get the right answers.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends what you want to do on the Xbox, its perfectly fine to add credit cards to your Xbox account, I did the same thing but make sure you setup the relevant security details, I have PayPal linked to mine.

Don't pay for Xbox Live via the console, always buy the pre paid cards eg from CD keys, same for currency to by arcade games.
  • Rroger_D
    Rroger_D Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Many thanks to you all.

Son nagging to 'get started' with his birthday present, I have added my card details. I will look at removing these ASAP. We have no requirement for communicating with others at the moment, although I am sure that this will come once he starts talking to his friends.

I'll have a look at other payment options. Just seen that Tesco do them, as you mention.

BIG thanks again :T

Rroger_D
  • stressed81
    stressed81 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I think prepaid cards are the way to you go. As a workmate recently found at when his son bought £400 worth of fifa coins.
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try the online gold accounts - like from http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships

Get a 13 month one for under £30, the amount of time spent online & the hours enjoyment talking to mates etc all make the mere £30 worth it IMO.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    Why on earth did you put your card details in at all? There's no need for it whatsoever, if I were you I'd be removing them immediately & checking that nothing has been taken out of the account.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stressed81 wrote: »
    I think prepaid cards are the way to you go. As a workmate recently found at when his son bought £400 worth of fifa coins.

This is why the pre paid cards are a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure