»

MSE News: Season ticket holders lose out as Virgin overhauls East Coast's loyalty sch

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

MSE News: Season ticket holders lose out as Virgin overhauls East Coast's loyalty sch

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
15 replies 2.1K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Thousands of East Coast rail season ticket holders can no longer earn points after an overhaul of its loyalty scheme...
Read the full story:

Season ticket holders lose out as Virgin overhauls East Coast's loyalty scheme

OfficialStamp.gif


Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
«1

Replies

  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As with most changes to such schemes, this one is much less attractive than the one it replaces - as is the operator, Virgin.

    The 50 point First Class Lounge redemption was a useful way of using a relatively small number of points, but that doesn't seem to exist any more.

    Political messing around with the railways by the Conservatives (as always, putting themselves and their pals ahead of the country and its people) has led to a highly profitable and very popular public sector operation on East Coast (after two failed private ones) being sold off yet again to the private sector.

    So the country loses the profits it was getting from East Coast, and gains a private operator which will carry on for just as long as it can screw the maximum out of its customers to bolster the profits it will hand over to its shareholders.

    Progress!
  • theblaggertheblagger Forumite
    2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, privitisation at its finest, and us mugs pay for it
    I refer to my byline below ...

    Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • SimonSaysSimonSays Forumite
    716 posts
    DOR was never going to run it forever.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    SimonSays wrote: »
    DOR was never going to run it forever.
    No reason why it shouldn't have done. It operated efficiently, made good profits for the government and was well liked by its customers.

    Only political considerations (the Tories hating anything run by the public sector - including the NHS - and loving the private sector, even when two previous private franchises on the East Coast Main Line have failed) stopped it.

    Now we're all prey to the usual Virgin rip-off pricing.
  • I use west coast and signed up for virgin points. I also pay for the tickets on virgin CC. Points build up quickly and you can convert points into holiday vouchers not just flights, we did that this year and got a few hundred quid off a holiday

    They provide good service on west coast, better than old service. hope the service is ok for you guys
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not get the government to run absolutely everything using that logic? Why should companies profit from selling food but not running trains? Food is essential for life, trains aren't.
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doc_N wrote: »
    No reason why it shouldn't have done. It operated efficiently, made good profits for the government and was well liked by its customers.

    Only political considerations (the Tories hating anything run by the public sector - including the NHS - and loving the private sector, even when two previous private franchises on the East Coast Main Line have failed) stopped it.

    Now we're all prey to the usual Virgin rip-off pricing.

    Except the Tories don't hate the nhs (what a stupid thing to say) and despite the populist mantra from Labour, I didn't see them renationalising the railways during their time in government - nor is it a pledge for their proposed government last time I checked.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Except the Tories don't hate the nhs (what a stupid thing to say) and despite the populist mantra from Labour, I didn't see them renationalising the railways during their time in government - nor is it a pledge for their proposed government last time I checked.
    Renationalisation, whilst it would be an excellent thing for the railways and the country, would be just too expensive now.

    The Conservatives sold off most of the family silver, including the railways, BT, water, gas, electricity etc (look how much their gas and electricity sell-offs are costing us all now!) - the prospect of finding the sot of money needed to buy it back again now is zero.

    They also wasted all the North Sea gas and oil revenues on lower taxes to get re-elected, instead of taking the sensible line that Norway took, and is still profiting from.

    Then there are all the council houses sold off at a fraction of their true worth to the nation - look at all the problems that's causing now, and how much it's costing.

    Labour financial mismanagement - love that lie that the Tories have been peddling on the basis that if you say it enough times people believe it! What about all the Tory mismanagement?
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Renationalisation, whilst it would be an excellent thing for the railways and the country, would be just too expensive now.

    The Conservatives sold off most of the family silver, including the railways, BT, water, gas, electricity etc (look how much their gas and electricity sell-offs are costing us all now!) - the prospect of finding the sot of money needed to buy it back again now is zero.

    If you believe that renationalisation would improve the way things are run then you need to up your dose of pills. There is plenty wrong with, for example, the railways. One example is the over complex ticketing regime but many more people use the railways than did 20 30 or 40 years ago, you can get cheap tickets if you are organised to do it in advance and/or qualify for a discount card. Of course Network Rail which looks after the infrastructure is a Government Company and its recent efforts at Kings Cross, Finsbury Park, London Bridge and Paddington are nothing much to write home about.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    If you believe that renationalisation would improve the way things are run then you need to up your dose of pills. There is plenty wrong with, for example, the railways. One example is the over complex ticketing regime but many more people use the railways than did 20 30 or 40 years ago, you can get cheap tickets if you are organised to do it in advance and/or qualify for a discount card. Of course Network Rail which looks after the infrastructure is a Government Company and its recent efforts at Kings Cross, Finsbury Park, London Bridge and Paddington are nothing much to write home about.
    Of course many more people are using the railways - but that would have happened under public ownership, with proper investment, just as readily.

    And without the ridiculous fares complexity, too, which results in anyone wanting just to travel on the day, without pre-booking, having to pay getting on for, and in some cases exceeding, the price of the air fare.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support