PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Green Plums

Options
A couple of branches have just broken off my victoria plum tree. The plums are still green and hard. Is there anything that I can do with them as it seems so wasteful to just throw them away.
January spend = £100
Spent =
saving =

Comments

• jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you leave them on the branch I think they might ripen anyway. Otherwise, you can ripen them in the house.

The top of our plum tree came off the other year and left a big stick. Grown back now but they are very brittle and you are supposed to prop the branches up when fruiting. (We never have).
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes but, I'm sure you could make chutney (like green tomato chutney) or some kind of relish with onions and spices -maybe a raita kind of thing for curries ?
  • poohzee
    poohzee Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My hubby just had to take a nappy box full of green (unripe) plums off of our tree as the branch was breaking because of the weight - is there anything I can do with these plums? Seems like such a waste.
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    hmmm maybe others will know better than me but I wouldn't eat unripe plums. Maybe you could put them on your windowsill to get some sun on them to help them to ripen?
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if you could ripen them like you ripen green tomatoes?

Put some in a paper bag with a ripe banana. The banana gives off a gas which ripens other fruit (hence why you don't keep bananas in your fruit bowl with other fruit).

Worth a try?

Or make chutney?
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd say chutney for unripe plums ;)
  • poohzee
    poohzee Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the advise - do i just follow the chutney recipes from here as though they are ripe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure